“Fantastic”

Transit: F Train to Delancey, JMZ to Essex
San Antonio, Texas
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

I make it a point to visit wd-50 whenever I travel to NY. It's very pricy but worth the experience if you're up for dropping some cash on some unique food. There are some cool places around wd-50 too! One time I was there visiting they took us on a tour of the kitchen. I can't wait to go back the next time I visit.

• Visited February 2012

Babylon, New York
“Surreal...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Experience: A completely surreal experience. Seen him on tv, but never thought I'd be at his restaurant. My husband surprised me for my birthday just a few days ago. It was amazing!

Food: I had the twelve course tasting menu (as did my husband). Such unique tastes, textures, and styles of food. If you dont know too much about molecular gastronomy, you may want to look into it before you decide to go to this restaurant. Arrangements can be made for specific allergies or food preferences. (Nice to know!). I've never ate a meal that had more "firsts" in it before. Never tried squab, wagyu beef, yuzu ice...tons of stuff that were unique to this dinner. Very exciting! My favs: The chicken with "peas" and carrots- so good and so unique with the peas. Dessert was also great as well as the wagyu beef.

Service: Polite and friendly. Restaurant opened at 6, we had reservations for 6:30, but they seated us immediately. Corner table (awesome). You had one main waiter, but many service staff interacted with us during the evening. Some brought silverware, some took plates, others brought plates and explained the dishes...it was really a head spinning experience. So many people just swarming around. (not in a bad way...). Our waiter was great because we opted out of the wine pairings, but my husband wanted to do a little bit of a "beer pairing" so he asked for recommendations for a few beers throughout dinner, which our waiter was happy to help him with. It was top notch service without being pushy or in your face. We never felt rushed.

Recommendations: Make a reservation. Better safe than sorry. If you end up sitting at the bar, your choices are a little more limited. We just went (December 8th, 2012) and were told Wiley does not come in on Friday and Saturdays as a request from his wife after the birth of his second child. So if you really want to see him, show up on another day. Go for the tasting menu if you're open to anything...it was amazing and I dont think I would have been happy with just a large unique dish. The fun was trying something new, and commenting on it as you ate. I think the earlier the better to show up, that way you can enjoy without being rushed, and you may be able to get your pick of tables.

Waterloo, Canada
“Watch the videos then try the food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

When I was a kid I used to see magicians perform at school and on TV. But I was never content to just see the trick; I always wanted to know "How did he do that?"

I felt the same way about having dinner at wd~50. I enjoyed most of the tastes, plate architecture and novel ingredients. But, mostly, I wanted to know "How did they do this?"

If you want to get the most from your visit to wd~50, go on-line and watch a few hours of YouTube videos with Wylie Dufresne talking at Harvard University and other places. He explains the why and how of his cooking philosophy.

I wish I'd watched these before I went. The dinner would have made much more sense. Your dinner won't ruined by knowing about meat glue, xantham gum and transglutaminase.

Should you go, despite the $350 price tag for two? Yes, assuming you don't have to miss a mortgage payment to do it. But watch the videos first. They'll help you understand "how they did that."

• Visited October 2012
London, UK
“hurried, expensive and disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Arrived at 7 and they had us out by 8.15 after a tasting menu including wines. Never felt so rushed in a restaurant of this calibre before. Tables so close you ate with your neighbours

New York, New York, United States
“great food, poor to average service with high prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was so looking forward to my experience here..I am a foodie! Whereever i am i search out the best that there is to offer....i live in nyc and have never been to this restaurant until this evening. while the food was wonderful (some dishes better than others) i have to say that the service was lacking in warmth and professionalism. our waitress would have been fired immediately, had she been working for me. when you are paying $500.00 plus for dinner for two people, service should be spottless....not sloppy.....and the chef doesn't acknowledge the diners, like the chefs in europe do....when i dine in italy, in top restaurants, chefs come to the table and thank the guests....i realize that this is nyc but maybe that is why i hate this city,,,attitude