“Tasty pierogies, great Polish beers”
Review of Veselka

Veselka
Order Online
Ranked #206 of 16,401 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Ukrainian
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: East Village
Description: Ukrainian Soul food in the heart of the East Village!
Reviewed October 1, 2016

Veselka is a wonderful spot in the East Village -- convenient for us when we attended a fashion event at Pier 36. Quick service by kindly, efficient wait staff. Veselka's pierogi (varenyky) dumplings come in 7 flavors (meat, potato, truffle, sweet potato, arugula & goat cheese, and sauerkraut & mushroom). Among these, we thought the arugula and goat cheeses were especially good. The stuffed cabbage we had was wonderful, too; enjoyed it with the gravy it comes with and also with the sour cream and the minced beets. Five Polish beers, including 3 of them on-draft. Mmmm, mmm, mmmm!

Date of visit: October 2016
1  Thank Doug M

Reviewed September 27, 2016

We tried Veselka twice in our 8 days trip!. The food was really good, friendly staff, very fast service and good atmosphere

Nice place in East Village!

Reviewed September 27, 2016

I'm a real fan of restaurant reviews on TripAdvisor, and I've discovered some amazing places on here! This is now at the top of my list! Decided to make an out of the way stop here just to check this place out on Friday night. Arrived early, around 6:30 and were seated immediately. Service was prompt, extra courteous and very attentive (thanks to our young man server, he had glasses, a Clark Kent type!).

We ordered specialty lemonades - I recommend the fresh watermelon flavored ones, and fried potato pierogis to start. Now, although these were excellent, next time I would try them the traditional boiled way. I think the fried reminded me too much of an empanada. For main course we tried the stuffed cabbage (huge portion) and beef stroganoff. Food was delicious all around. I felt like this was a good value for the portions and type of "home cooked" food. A real authentic experience!

The ambience and decor of the restaurant was also great, and although seating was somewhat tight, it really had a fun upbeat personality to it. I can't wait to visit again and recommend to all my friends!

2  Thank misseattle
Reviewed September 24, 2016

Veselka's served two huge sweet cheese blintzes with fresh raspberries and sour cream on the side, as requested. They were memorable and filling, more than enough for one person--a perfect dessert for 2. The smoked kielbasa platter with housemade sauerkraut (slow-cooked and flavorful, not too sour) was exceptional. The accompanying boiled pierogi were delicious. This 24/7 diner deserves its reputation for best Ukrainian comfort food in the East Village. The service was friendly and fast.

1  Thank pbavs324
Reviewed September 23, 2016 via mobile

my third time in NY and my third time in Veselka...Nice atmosphere and excellent food !!! a classic place in East Village !