“Totally over-hyped.”

The Sunburnt Cow
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: East Village
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Totally over-hyped. It leaves you confused and wondering if you are experiencing a wild party from the prior night, or if you just have a really bad hangover. It's a great place to go if you want to drink during the day, in the pitch darkness. Or if your solution for a hangover is to... just drink some more. They do have an all you can drink special, but I found that the drinks aren't fresh and have obviously cheap quality.
There's something about this place that didn't really settle well with me. I can appreciate the fact that it is a total hipster spot, so I suppose they are going for the "what you see is what you get" look.
They have a limited menu, so I ordered the egg white veggie omelette. Kind of greasy. I really don't have anything good to say about it.
Meh. I've literally had better. If I were you, I'd find a different place for a weekend brunch. Unless you're looking for a fratty booze-fest. Then, go for it! After all, your weekend is usually well deserved if you live in Manhattan.

Reviewed January 16, 2011

I really don't understand the hype about this place.
I've been a total of 2 times (once for afternoon drinks and once for brunch) and both times I wasn't overly impressed.
It is SO ridiculously crowded - there are so many people packed into that tiny area it's crazy. The back area is a little better, as you can eat in a larger group but it's still so noisy and pretty dingy.
The best part of my experience was the "Unlimited Moomosas" which translates to refills of the little water glass while you're seated, then after you're shoved out of your table you get two more free drinks at the bar.
The waitresses are nice and friendly, but the bartender is really rude.
Food is really not great, I was hoping for the Buttermilk Pikelets but they had run out by 1pm, so I ended up Scrambled Eggs and plain toast. The eggs were rubbery and flavourless while the toast wasn't much better.
All of the girls in my group got steak, and they weren't overly impressed either, as the steak was really thin and it cost them $23 instead of the $18.
There are WAY better Aussie places in the city as well as Brunch spots for your $$!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 30, 2008

good food...slow service.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 26, 2008

I really enjoyed the combination of the unique Austrailian cuisine, atmosphere, and of course the mimosas at brunch. Relatively inexpensive as NYC goes.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed July 26, 2008

all you can drink brunch

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook