“Great food, great service”

El Maguey y La Tuna
Ranked #7,112 of 13,936 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Cross street: Attorney St.
Transit: Essex St (J, M, Z) Delancey St (F) 2 Av (F)
Reviewed October 23, 2011

This is my favourite of the restaurants we visited on our recent trip to New York. It's unassuming, welcoming and delicious. Our waiter was friendly and suggested which molés would best accompany our enchiladas and fajitas. After the meal (and several frozen margaritas) the owner, Maria, came and chatted to us. Highly recommended.

1  Thank taamlyn
There are newer reviews for El Maguey y La Tuna

Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband, our teenage daughter and I were visiting NYC over the Labor Day weekend. I had looked on TA for a Mexican restaurant that we could have dinner at and found El Maguey y La Tuna. The reviews sounded great so we decided to check it out. We made a reservation for 7:30 on a Saturday night and when we arrived, we were promptly greeted and seated. The restaurant was empty, but by the time that we left, it was fairly full. The atmosphere is very homey and comfortable.

We asked our waiter, Lino (not sure of spelling), to go over the menu and explain the different Mole sauces since we were not familiar with them. He said that each was homemade and made fresh. He brought over a sample of each mole and then described each one as we tasted it. Our daughter got the carne asada fajitas and we settled on a chicken enchilada with mole poblano sauce. Both dishes were excellent but the enchilada was outstanding...you could really taste all of the fresh ingredients that went into making it. I also got a margarita and my husband got the sangria. Both were homemade and absolutely delicious! A nice touch was a slice of delicious Flan that we all shared.

As we were leaving, Lino came outside to say goodbye to us. We really appreciated the personal and attentive service that we received during our visit. We will certainly be back on our next visit to NYC!! Thanks for a great dining experience!

1  Thank Travellermama
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Based on the reviews I read, I was expecting much more. The menu that you see on thier website was not the menu that we had when we went there. Some of the reviews talk about burritos. There was not any burritos on thier menu. The food was still very good and still plenty to choose from. Margaritas were fantastic! Good price overall. Resturant itself is very small. This is not in Greenwhich village, or that I would consider. It is in the Lower East Side.

Reviewed March 28, 2011

For the adults: The different moles were complex and authentic (try the Verde) and the margaritas fresh. For kids: authentic atmosphere with good simple foods, if needed, and the chance to try the Mexican sodas. 6:30 or earlier is a good time to show up with kids. Almost empty when we arrived on a Saturday night, but by the time we left we could see this tiny place was going to be packed.

Reviewed January 30, 2011

Read a couple of reviews and decided to venture out to the lower east side. The restaurant was more then we could have expected in every way. First, the restaurant itself has a great ambiance, with a really charming and warm feeling to it. Second the FOOD!! from the guacamole to the enchiladas poblano it just kept getting better and better. You could tell that everything was fresh, and made with a lot of care and heart, by people that truly cared about the product. I only wish we had gone sooner in our trip so we could have tried out more of the menu. Finally, the service, which was spot on in every respect, the staff were very helpful, giving us samples of the different sauces since my girlfriend can't handle spice as well as me. Maria was amazing taking time to speak with us, making us feel very welcome as though we were regulars. They even brought out a dessert for my girlfriend since it was her bday, and had the whole restaurant sing her happy birthday. I will definitely be going back, and recommending them to everyone I know, I can't wait till our next trip down.