“Huge portions!”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Where Harry met Sally..... We knew we were onto a good thing when we turned up and had to join the queue outside waiting to get in for lunch on a Saturday afternoon. The portions are huge and could easily be shared between two people (not that we did!!). We each had the Reuben sandwich - pastrami on rye with melted cheese and sauerkraut! It was unbelievably delicious!!

There are newer reviews for Katz's Deli

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Everybody knows the routine grab a ticket the counter is right in front order maybe they will give you a sample then find a table. I am a X New Yorker moved away 29 years ago. Drove bye many times but never went here up untill a few weeks ago.My mistake ! Went here with 2 of my cousins they take me where I want to eat. At the counter I ordered the Pastrami on rye, matzo ball soup, potato knish & a Dr. Brown. Yum Yum ! 125 Years !

1  Thank WoHop132
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Make sure you put this on your New York itinerary. It's a bit out of the way but if you want to experience a New York diner the way it's meant to be, don't miss it. The hustle and bustle, the decor, the atmosphere, - they all combine to create an experience which is truly unique. The food is a bit bland though, but that's not what people come here for.

1  Thank agfoxx
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I tried the pastrami and corn beef sandwich on rye. It was huge, and juicy, and flavorful. When you walk in, take a ticket and go to the counter. There are several lines and pick you sandwich and then you pay when you exit the restaurant. Great food!

2  Thank ladyomaha
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Katz has been on my bucket list since I saw them featured on television years ago. From the outside, Katz appears to be just like every other old school deli I've seen anywhere in the country, which really lends to it's appeal. It's in a neighborhood far from the typical tourist spots, but only a short subway ride and walk to get to. Inside, the appointments are basic. Tons of pictures dot the walls of celebrities who have visited or ate at Katz. A sign hangs over the table where Harry met Sally. Everything looks old, a bit disorganized but clean. Ordering was very confusing. When you walk in, you are given a ticket with no explanation as to why. It turns out, these tickets are used to track your purchase so that you can pay at the door before leaving. There is no line or organization. You just mob the counter whenever someone is available to help you and hope you don't anger anyone or that no one will cut in front of you. Ordering a meal requires visiting the counter in multiple places, which is not clearly marked. One part of the counter only serves sandwiches, the other part is for alcoholic drinks and another for sodas. Finding a seat was also a bit of an adventure. When we arrived, many tables were empty, but many were taken up by employees who were packing and unpacking boxes and using them to stack the empty boxes on. Several tables along the wall are reserved for table service only. Frequently, we heard the servers scolding customers for trying to sit in these seats, when the only markings indicating they are reserved for table service is a small sign on the wall buried amongst the sea of photos.

As for the food. It's pricier than any deli I've ever visited. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $15 for a sandwich with pickles. The same sandwich at my local hometown deli in Maryland would run me about $9 and might be slightly bigger. But this is New York City. Everything is astronomically priced. I would say what I ate was very good, but I think had I ordered something different, I would be able to speak much more highly of it. I ordered the roast beef sandwich and the Matzo ball soup. The roast beef was quite large and served very rare, which I liked and it was very tasty, especially with some of the house mustard, which had a hint of what tasted like horseradish in it. The soup was pretty good. The broth had a great depth of rich flavor and the Matzo ball was humongous. However unexciting Matzo ball soup is, I'm not sure that you can make it any better. Talking to others in the restaurant, it sounds like the sandwich to order here is the pastrami. The table next to me ate their pastrami sandwiches like a pack of ravenous wolves and claimed that it was the sandwich to order at Katz. They also raved about the potato pancakes. Finally, when paying, make sure you have cash. This is a cash only business. There is an ATM in the back, which I'm sure is owned by the deli, given the outrageous withdrawal fee.

In summary, I will visit Katz again and try the much raved pastrami sandwich. But I'm in no rush.