“Ottimo pastrami”

Ranked #520 of 15,901 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Deli
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown Manhattan (Downtown)
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The pastrami it's really fantastic and the people that works there are fantastic.
The atmospheare is good and the temperature inside was a little cold.
On the wall there are all the picture of the important people that eat there....and the wall is full...

Date of visit: November 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (15,134)

Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

Amazing pastrami, was like nothing I have ever had, really was excellent. Everything else say awful though, dirty toilets, rude staff. Worse thing was the cueing system- so you have to cue to get food (non sandwich), cue for sandwiches, cue for drinks, Then get a table then cue to pay.

Pleased I have been but not bothered going again. I think if it wasn't famous it wouldn't survive

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

I wanted to go here even tho I felt guilty for being attracted to what I thought might be a touristy version of my pastrami dreams. It was wonderful. The pastrami was steamy, and had the perfect amount of melt in your mouth fat bordering the meat. The homemade pickles were awesome. It's crowded, but the security guy streamlines the entry and ordering process. They let you munch on a sample while they make your sandwich. The meat is cut to serve. It has a great atmosphere. It's expensive for a sandwich, but one sandwich fed two of us to satisfaction.

Date of visit: January 2014
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We had about 20 people in front of us, and were told by the guy manning the door the wait would be about 20 minutes. On the grounds that we wouldn't get another chance, we waited - we were in the queue for only 10 minutes (!) although you could hardly move inside. My son and husband queued for food whilst my daughter and I hovered until we secured a table ( a lovely local lady invited us to sit while she finished her last couple of mouthfuls, and we had a nice chat!) The sandwiches did not disappoint - we ordered one each and took one home in a doggy bag. The owner came over to chat - he is proud of his deli and rightly so - and whilst I would say a portion of the price (25% ish...?) is purely because it's Katz's, the food IS excellent, the atmosphere is like nowhere else and it's worth the wait. One word of advice, though - how ever many tickets they give you on entry (we thought you needed one each, but it's actually just to record your purchases - we used one for food and one for drinks, and left one unused) you MUST give the same number back to the cashier or they won't let you out! We had to fight our way back to the table we'd used and thankfully the unused ticket was still there!!!

Date of visit: December 2013
Reviewed January 4, 2014

First found out about Katz's whilst watching Man vs Food and knew we had to visit on our next visit from the UK to try the lb of meat sandwich which definitely didn't disappoint! A little off the main drags so a bit more effort to reach but worth it! Quickly seated and served...tried both the brisket and pastrami (pastrami was best!) and was amusing to see the huge pieces of meat being trolled through the restaurant before being carved up and served to the seemingly endless line of customers! Ticket system meant paying was easy too. Also recommend the egg creams! we will be back!

Date of visit: December 2013