“Nice Little No Frills Deli - HUGE Sandwiches”
Review of Katz's Deli

Katz's Deli
Ranked #251 of 13,681 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Boston
“Nice Little No Frills Deli - HUGE Sandwiches”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Katz's Deli had been featured on several shows and in several articles about NYC that I've seen and read, so when I found myself in NYC last September, I wanted to try it. It must be a tourist draw, though, because we asked someone working at an attraction across town what the best train to take was to get near it and he had never heard of Katz's. He said "you're going across town for a deli? There are delis on every corner," haha.

It is a no frills deli - cafeteria style - but the food is very good and the sandwiches are gigantic! You grab a tray and order at the counter or you can sit in the section where someone waits on you. My husband got a brisket sandwich, which was good, but my pastrami sandwich was excellent! We really could have just split a sandwich, they are that large. The counter staff was very friendly and helpful while we ordered, and gave us several different samples meats to try as well as several samples of pickles. This was a great feature because a sandwich will run you $16 or $17 USD, which is pretty pricey.

When you walk in the door they give you a ticket. When you order something they write on your ticket and you pay for everything at a counter at the door before you leave. If you lose your ticket there is a high penalty fee, so don't lose it!

• Visited September 2012

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Definitive deli experience ( I guess....! )....”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Recommended as a typical lower east side dining experience, and that it was. Popular with locals and very crowded, I'd say they hit you with quantum rather than quality of food. Well wise to US portion management, the two of us ordered for one and split....we still felt we have over-eaten ( and over-paid - irritatingly it has to be cash ! ).

Four Presidents have eaten here and its became famous as the present owner's father lobbied to have WW2 troops sent salami as they weren't being fed properly. We met his son, the present operator and he was very welcoming.

I'd say go here for a New York experience, but you can dine better elsewhere.

Visited July 2013
Elven, France
“What's the thing about this restaurant?”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Very disappointed by this restaurant, everything is poor : food, service and the place is not even clean. We don't get it really...We're not locals but we did enjoy plently of other places where at least a smile is given by the staff. I think it's overrated, even for food. It's good for big eater as portions are huge but quality is not there...

• Visited July 2013
Montgomery, Alabama
“Take Cash”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

What bugged me about New York in general is the lack of places that accept credit cards. It's supposed the "modern" place in the world. Katz is no exception so prepare to have cash. It's a bit out of the way for the normal tourist but well worth the ride. This was my favorite restaurant in New York. My mouth just waters thinking about the brisket and pastrami! I don't think you can go wrong here, but be prepared to wait. Line usually wraps around the building.

Visited December 2012
NOLA, United States
“New York Staple”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Great Sandwiches! I will help you navigate this place. When you walk in the door you will be given a ticket, keep this ticket even if you order nothing. you will see a giant deli counter, there is no rhyme or reason to a line. You just walk up to the first available sandwich maker. Pastrami on wheat is the way to go. They will cut you a fresh piece when you order. Drinks are ordered separately further down the line. You will pay with your ticket on the way out the door. EnJoy!

Visited July 2013