“NOT WHAT IT WAS BUT STILL AN ICON”
Review of Katz's Deli

Katz's Deli
Ranked #247 of 13,633 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
RADLETT
“NOT WHAT IT WAS BUT STILL AN ICON”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

If it hadn't been famous and we hadn't been many times before Katz's would have been a disappointment. Sunday morning, not busy or buzzy and only OK food. The photos are still on the walls but I don't think there will be too many new ones.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
La Crescenta, California
“Great pastrami”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Great pastrami, some of the best I've ever eaten. (The best is at Langer's in Los Angeles.) Would I return during my next visit to NYC? Definitely, if it fits my schedule. It's near the Tenement Museum, which is pretty interesting.

florida
“BEST PASTRAMI EVER”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I took to subway to Katz's Deli ( where Harry met Sally) due to the rave reviews we had from friends who used to live in the area. WOW best Pastrami sandwich ever. I'm still thinking about how good it was and it is now almost a month since we were there. It will be a must on any trip to NYC we ever take.

Stoney Creek
“Horrible experience”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was very excited about our plan to lunch at Katz's Deli but it turned out to be a horrible experience. Upon our arrival, I advised the door person that my husband was in a cast and could he recommend how we approach dining to reduce the amount of time he had to spend standing and waiting. The door person handed me a green ticket and told us that it would be quicker if we didn’t request table service and went directly to the counter for service. I went to the counter, handed the server a green ticket and asked for three corned beef sandwiches. The server took the green ticket and wrote the price for three sandwiches on the ticket. I proceeded to the drink counter, ordered two beers and a root beer and the price of the drinks was added to our green ticket. We found a table, which hadn’t been washed down and the general appearance of the facility was filthy. As you depart, you hand the cashier your green ticket and the amount on the ticket is what is charged. As we approached the cashier, a gentleman asked to see our three tickets; I said “we were only given one ticket”. He replied saying “no you weren’t, you were given three tickets, check your pockets”. I told him “we didn’t need to check our pockets because I know I was handed only one ticket”. He again insisted that “he personally handed me the three tickets”; that was not even true. I pointed to the door person that I spoke with and told this guy, “you did not hand me the ticket because this guy handed me the ticket following a conversation about my husband’s cast”. He yells over to the doorman and says”how many tickets did you give this family” the guy says two” again not true (not to mention if we were supposed to be given three, why is this guy saying he only handed us two – stupid system and zero logic). The price on our ticket for three sandwiches and three drinks was $68.00 – if common sense prevailed, they would see that a $68.00 lunch for three people would make sense and that we weren’t trying to rip them off. After much to and fro, a security guard finally had to clear us to pay our bill and leave the restaurant. What a complete fiasco. IF YOUR GREEN TICKET SYSTEM DOESN”T WORK, TRY A NEW SYSTEM. Secondly, HIRES SERVERS WHO DON’T BOLD FACE LIE.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank cynthiad550
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“"I'll have what she is having"”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Best pastrami sandwich ever! Felt like a real NY experience. The wait wasn't bad at all as we went mid morning on a weekday. It was a true NYC experience. There is no order in this place, but that is the fun part about it. My three kids loved it! Mile high pastrami sandwich.

Visited June 2013