“Great find in the Bowery”
Review of Kuma Inn

Kuma Inn
Ranked #4,473 of 14,522 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I haven't been down in this section of the city in quite some time, only remembering its past, when you wouldn't have wanted to be walking up to the second floor of a building in the middle of Ludlow Street. The fact is that when our wine group got here at 5:45, a few of them thought the place was closed up. Before 6, the door is shut, covered in graffiti and stickers and the ground floor business does look like it's closed. Thus, the initial impression is, where is this place and do I really want to go there. Then when you first walk through the door, the impression still isn't great and two flights of steps await you. Get past it as the food is really good. It's still BYOB but with a $5 corkage. We had a large group, so we ordered three of whatever we got. I thought the Chinese Sausage was good, as were the steamed buns. The drunken shrimp were tasty and the crepes were interesting. Not really a crepe as I was expecting but very good none the less. Service was good but not spectacular. Overall we have a great time with very good food. We'll be back.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I dined at this restaurant the night before New Year's eve with my cousins and we were not disappointed. The food was delish, it almost felt like I was in the Philippines. I was new in the country so having to savor the food I was used to made my night. It was such a nostalgic experience. The staff was very accomodating. Yes, we waited a little bit for them to get our table ready but it wasn't a deal-breaker. It only boiled to one point, that for a small restaurant, there food was that good to have a lot of customers come and go. Filipino food rocks!!!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This place is hidden above a nightclub and is very low key so its perfect for a date spot. The food is very good and everything is served tapas style. Careful, if you're on a budget you can rack up a high tab because it might be hard to resist ordering lots of the flavorful tapas that they have on the menu. Definitely check it out if you're on the LES.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Hubby and I were exhausted from walking around Times Square carrying a baby and wanted to find a Filipino restaurant in NYC which would accommodate us. We called and asked if they'd accept us cause we have a baby and they were very nice to say YES! They have a very small place with dim lights which my baby didn't like and he started crying. So we decided to just get some take out food, all of which were really good. Try their wasabi pork shumai, pan roasted scallops with bacon, deep–fried pork belly lechon kawali and coconut rice - all highly recommended!! :D

Reviewed January 31, 2013

The place is hard to find but that might add to its mystique for some. The food is tapas style and is ok. The sauces that came with almost any dish was very good. The coconut rice was delicious. The Chinese chicken sausage was just ok. The room was crowded and very noisy. The waitress asked us to vacate our table when we were finished eating......meal for one was well over $40 and so we dropped a size able amount of money to be asked to vacate a table upon finishing a meal before we finished the wine that we brought (BYOB)!!! I wouldn't return.