“Old School”

Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Fort Pierce, Florida
“Old School”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Very old school bagel & bialy place. It's really set up for taking your stuff home - they don't put cream cheese on for you, I don't even think they sell coffee, etc. They have a cooler with spreads that you can buy and take with you.

The Challah bagels I got were excellent. I'd never heard of a challah bagel, but I think it just must be another name for egg bagels, since that's exactly what it tasted like. A wonderfully delicious egg bagel. Yummmm.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank mdjD11

Baltimore, Maryland
“I am a Bialy Addict, and I Love Their Bialys!”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Great bialys! I am a bialy addict, and whenever I am in NYC, I walk eight blocks here from my hotel every day or two to get some bialys! WONDERFUL!

Visited November 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Forget bagels - bialys are the real deal!”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Years ago one of our New York friends introduced us to bialys - often referred to as cousins to the bagel but with quite a different flavor and texture. Unlike a bagel, which is boiled and then baked with a hole in the middle, the bialy is only baked and has an indentation in the middle that is filled with small onion slices, garlic or poppy seeds. They have a slightly longer shelf life than a bagel, and are delicious with cream cheese, salmon, herring or any other topping you want to add. If you want to try one, Kossar's is the place to go - probably the source for any bialys you might find at the delis around NYC. They also have bagels - if you want them - and they sell spreads, but mostly they sell bialys. This is not a restaurant, but more a grocery. They have a shelf against the window you can eat on with a few stools, but it's mostly in and out service. The counter guy is gruff; the open bakery ovens, the shelves, the wonderful smells of flour and baking are all part of the experience (the counter guy would hate that I said that!). Whenever I go to NY, I buy a dozen; I love watching the faces of fellow commuters on the Amtrak train try and figure out where that great smell is coming from!

• Visited February 2012
Concord, New Hampshire
“Excellent cheap eats...”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I've been to Kossar's twice. The first time I wasn't that impressed with the bialys. Maybe they're an acquired taste. I was there yesterday with my daughter and this time we got bagels. They were excellent. My daughter got an everything bagel and she loved it. I got plain with some delectable cream cheese. The bagels were wonderfully fresh, chewy - everything a bagel should be. And at just $1 per bagel it was a very inexpensive, filling and satisfying breakfast. The ambiance leaves a lot to be desired - the place is pretty faded and dumpy. It doesn't need to be flashy but it could use a renovation. And the woman at the register was efficient but unfriendly, answering questions in mono-syllables. But for a quick and excellent breakfast on the Lower East Side it can't be beat.

2 Thank AnnieMagee
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“FORGET THE BAGEL EAT BIALYS”
Reviewed July 28, 2008