“Little known gem”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 57th and Lexington
Transit: Two blocks from 4,5,6,N,Q,R trains (59th Street/Lexington Avenue station). Four blocks from E,M trains (Lexington Avenue/53rd Street station).
Description: Opia Restaurant is a very welcome addition to New York’s East 57th Street, a secluded, comfortable French oasis in the big city. The upstairs bar, lounges and dining room range from truly chic comfort to an intimate and subdued dining room. The bar and lounge is the largest area of the restaurant, so you’ll definitely want to schedule relaxation time there. The ambience is markedly friendly and buzzing. The arched windows and high ceilings create a splendid sense of space in the crowded old city, and it is a delight. The menu is French in the style we like best these days, inflected with the flavours of all the Mediterranean. Try starter of tuna tartare with yellow fin tuna, pickled ginger, wasabi avocado mousse, mango and yuzu sesame dressing, or an entree of roasted poussin in an orange glaze, or perhaps a delectable cut of dulce de leche flan for dessert. The wine list is thoughtful and offers much choice among the affordable with almost irresistible temptation among the reserve list.
Detroit, Michigan
“Little known gem”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We went here on a Friday night, originally intending to stay just for drinks before moving on somewhere else for dinner. Six hours later, we finally left. Located on the 2nd floor of the Renaissance Hotel, this restaurant has a little balcony that opens above 57th Avenue. The entire atmosphere was very (old world) Gentleman's Club (not the exotic dancer variety) with its leather couches and dark paneling.

Service was SPECTACULAR once Francis replaced our original waitress (who was really quite bad as we saw her once in the first two hours we were there; Francis had taken our orders and requests as we went along). He took extremely good care of us and made excellent recommendations when we (finally) decided to order dinner.

One friend decided to try tuna sashimi, which Francis touted as being some of the best in NY. Another New Yorker agreed it was really quite good. The lobster ravioli was a huge hit with us. And the truffle mac and cheese? TO DIE FOR!

Our biggest regret upon leaving that night was that we had no room to try their desserts. Well, that and we couldn't take Francis home with us.

Visited June 2013

• Greek first
Slingerlands, New York
“OK. Just OK. Needs a facelift.”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Had 2 dinners here while staying at the hotel. I want to comment on the service first. As has been noted by others, the service is a bit disorganized. The first time I was seated by a person who became my server, but both times there I was asked by three different people if I wanted anything to drink. I was not sure who to ask for a check.

The food was OK. I had the warm beet and goat cheese salad twice, which was terrific. The lobster ravioli wasordinary. Suspect not homemade, as they were small, like commercial ravioli. I have also never seen seafood ravioli served in a tomato sauce, and an ordinary tomato sauce at that.

Drinks are expensive, unbelievable (mid teens for a vodka) but comparable for New York.

Let me tell you about my recent dining experience....I was seated at a round, couch-like "booth". The "booth" had the fabric totally worn down on the upper corners. It needs to be reupholstered or tossed. I was seated right in front of a door that leads to an outside patio, with a large group of me who were out there to smoke coming in and out frequently. Each time my couch got hit. Almost funny, really.

• Visited April 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Group Meal”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Just sort of stumbled into this place. We had been walking in the sun and the couple of little balconies at lunchtime beckoned us inside. The interior is reminiscent of a nice hotel restaurant with lots of plush chairs.

There was a group of six of us. The clientele at this lounge is mostly young professionals, and because the restaurant is located at the second floor of a hotel building, you can also meet the clientele of the hotel there. During dinner we ordered a few cocktails and wine. The cocktails are tasty, though a bit too sweet. They could easily lighten up on the sugar content and still serve a delicious drink. The raspberry mojito is yum-yum We started with the steak tartar, which is to be avoided. The taste of the capers, or pickles, or mustard was just too strong.

But the entrees were actually kinda awesome. I got the lamb chops, which were pretty huge and very flavorful. I really enjoyed them.

• Visited January 2013
New York City, New York
“Bad Day - we all have one”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Local to me, so happy to meet for a quick breakfast meeting before leaving to Europe. I relaxed waiting for my friend to show up but I should have ordered for both of us. Plenty of good food arrived - more than I could eat - but in no particular order. Toasted bagel with lox and cream cheese, lettuce, tomato, capers, lemon, tea with honey. We had to add a table to our two top to put all the plates down but still I wanted to have the toasted bagel with all these things and not have to ask for each.....so they had a bad day. I would go back because I live in the neighborhood, so I can and because the food was great. I will just plan a two hour breakfast instead of one hour.

• Visited February 2013
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Strange Place!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We went here for brunch. It was comfortable. I had Eggs Benedict. It was acceptable, but nothing that couldn't be found at a place like Bob Evans, and far more pricey. I wanted hot chocolate, but they were out of it. A small glass of OJ was $5.

The service was downright strange. Various people came and spontaneously cleaned and removed things. At one point, a gentleman came and removed the placemats, which made no sense, since we were waiting for another course. Then someone else came put new silverware directly on the not clean appearing table. Why did I no longer deserve the placemat?

We had to keep literally hanging onto dishes and coffee for them not to yank them away from the table. The restaurant was practically empty, and it was 1 pm, so I do not know why they rushed us out of there, since the meal for 3 was $137.

The strangest thing was that the dessert I ordered was not available. But they did not tell us that for 25 minutes after ordering. Then some new person came and said we would get another dessert, but she did not know what kind. Did not offer a choice. Said she wouldn't charge us for it.

OK, 10 minutes later came a "souffle". Except it wasn't. It was a slab of very creamy almond ice cream cake. Not what I ordered. Then the new woman said "the dessert souffles there were actually ice cream cake"(?) I wonder in retrospect if it was a piece of ice cream cake from the party being given next door. Anyhow, what if I had an almond allergy and that is why I ordered a lemon souffle?

I would never go here again because it was just too strange. And the dessert episode was just really annoying.

• Visited November 2012