“Good for Breakfast”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 57th and Lexington
Transit: Two blocks from 4,5,6,N,Q,R trains (59th Street/Lexington Avenue station). Four blocks from E,M trains (Lexington Avenue/53rd Street station).
Description: Opia Restaurant is a very welcome addition to New York’s East 57th Street, a secluded, comfortable French oasis in the big city. The upstairs bar, lounges and dining room range from truly chic comfort to an intimate and subdued dining room. The bar and lounge is the largest area of the restaurant, so you’ll definitely want to schedule relaxation time there. The ambience is markedly friendly and buzzing. The arched windows and high ceilings create a splendid sense of space in the crowded old city, and it is a delight. The menu is French in the style we like best these days, inflected with the flavours of all the Mediterranean. Try starter of tuna tartare with yellow fin tuna, pickled ginger, wasabi avocado mousse, mango and yuzu sesame dressing, or an entree of roasted poussin in an orange glaze, or perhaps a delectable cut of dulce de leche flan for dessert. The wine list is thoughtful and offers much choice among the affordable with almost irresistible temptation among the reserve list.
Sunapee, New Hampshire
“Good for Breakfast”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had a good breakfast here while staying at the Renaissance New York 57 Hotel. The hotel is outstanding - a quirky boutique of a place considering its a chain. Opia is worth a visit for dinner though - wish we had had the time to do that.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank John C

• Greek first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Go on a Tuesday and listen to Vanessa Trouble”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Great jazz music: female vocal, bass, drum and guitar. Good bar menu and cocktail selection. One of the few places I've found with grappa.

Visited October 2012
“Enjoyed it”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I was staying at the hotel 57 so I got to eat here for lunch and a late dinner, both were very good. For lunch we were seated on a balcony overlooking the street which was very nice, and it wasn't very crowded. The food and service were good. At night there is jazz music which is fun, but we were seated right next to the band which made it very loud! The food was excellent but the cocktails were lacking. Overall I would recommend it, especially if you are staying at the hotel.

Virginia
“High expectations, service and food fell short”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I read quite a bit about this restaurant and all of the reviews were very, very positive. While staying at the Hotel 57, I decided to give it a try. Although I was seated 45 minutes before music was scheduled to begin, I was informed that I would be charged a $10 cover charge if I was still seated when the music started. I declined to sit in the bar area and instead was seated in the small dining room. Although there were a flurry of waitstaff all around, it took quite some time to get a glass of water and a menu. I ordered the spicy lamb meatballs to start. This small plate had three large meatballs which were extremely firm and somewhat dry. Definately NOT spicy at all. These were served on hummus which I thought was an interesting flavor. While eating this, they brought me a french bread basket and olive oil. The bread was hard as a rock. Really bad. I thought I would take a White Truffle Pizza to go and that was the best thing I could have done. I tasted a piece and it was GREAT! Generous portion of thin crust with lovely cheese and mushrooms. I was pleasantly surprised. Overall, the menu has variety and entree averages $35 or so. Service could definately use room for improvement. This restaurant definately has room for improvement in service and seems inconsistent in food taste/quality. The pizza was redeeming and I would probably give them another try but with adjusted expectations.

Visited September 2012
Sterling Heights, Michigan
“The music drew us in”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We were staying at the Renaissance Hotel 57 and were looking for a jazz club to go to when we heard Tony Middleton's smooth voice outside of Opia's doors ... well, we never left the hotel. We enjoyed the jazz music and a fantastic dinner and wine. Tony worked the crowd during a break and it was nice to talk to him, his manager and his band members. The great thing about our evening at Opia was the music was soft enough that we could enjoy dinner conversation and the food was good too. They have balcony seats but we opted for the first table available. Great supper jazz club.

• Visited August 2012
OpiaRestaurant, Guest Relations Manager at Opia, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed your time here! We hope to have you back!