“Power Lunch in Midtown”
Review of Cellini

Cellini
Reserve with OpenTable
Cellini is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #937 of 14,214 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Madison and Park Ave.
Description: Cellini’s culinary style of chic simplicity produces a menu of astounding freshness and creativity. We began with a masterful rendition of cornmeal polenta wedges with masses of slivered shitake mushrooms and a calamari salad garnished with beans and scallions, each set off with a hot, homemade foccacia, augmented with sliced crusty Tuscan bread. We next chose panzotti-supple half moon pasta filled with fresh, crisp vegetables lightly bathed in a delicate porcini mushroom sauce. A unique tubular pasta stuffed with the freshest fish and spinach under a seasoned fish stock was enough to show us that each dish here has its own personality, and is densely concentrated with flavor.
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Cellini is an excellent restaurant by all accounts. The pastas are freshly made and presented elegantly. The restaurant was bustling both upstairs and down with business lunches. We had a table upstairs in one of the less trafficked areas, which was nice. We ordered a pasta sampler consisting of spaghetti, ziti, and gnocchi to start our meal. All were excellent. The menu is well varied, and the specials are creative. I thoroughly enjoyed the lobster ravioli topped with lump crab meat. Service was adequate, not exceptional. I recommend Cellini to anyone seeking a great Italian meal in midtown.

1  Thank soul_surfer

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have eaten here several times and the food has always been tasty and the service very good. Also, the restaurant is very clean. Further, all of my co-workers have enjoyed it as well. Several people have enjoyed the clams and I have had the salads and the fresh pasta as an appetizer at different times. I especially enjoy the veal parm and often take some of it home as it is a large portion. The dessert and drinks are also a treat. Cellini is convenient and affordable especially when you compare it with other restaurants in the area.

1  Thank Suicune723
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Right across from the Elysee. We were tired and decided to give it a try without knowing anything about it. I had one of the best seafood pasta dishes ever. Loaded with seafood, scallops, shrimp, pasta perfectly cooked. Service was excellent. Prices not outrageous. This place was a very nice surprise. If you're in the area I'd say to give it a try !

1  Thank 5starry
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I went here for my birthday expecting a special dinner and impressive Italian food. While the service was very good and attentive throughout the dinner, the food was average at best and overpriced.

My littleneck clams appetizer was overly breaded and seasoned. It seemed like the chef was trying to hide the clams for some reason. My wife's salad was fine, but certainly nothing remarkable.

My risotto special with shrimp and lobster was very disapponting. The risotto was cooked well, but there was barely any lobster whatsoever and the shrimp was grocery store grade. And this was a "special"? Not good.

My wife's gnocchi was once again fine, but lacking in any distinction.

For dessert I had the Tiramisu, which was too heavy as if it had been sitting and soaking for too long. My wife had a tasty pie that the waiter recommended. The highlight of the night.

As for the wine, if you want something by the glass it's slim pickings. My Pinot Noir was table wine grade.

As far as ambiance, it is a cozy, warm restaurant. Too bad the food is not worth it.

Bottom line: cannot recommend and would not return.

1  Thank Ironhorse70
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I visited Cellini alone while in town on business. The service was outstanding - they made me feel as though I was the only one being waited on, though the restaurant was almost full. I ordered the Spaghetti Con Polpette: not sure if the noodles were homemade (didn't taste like it), but the sauce was good and the meatballs were AMAZING. I would definitely recommend and return to this restaurant.

1  Thank elaineyav