“YUMMY!”
Review of BLT Steak

BLT Steak
Reserve with OpenTable
BLT Steak is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #440 of 14,144 Restaurants in New York City
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Park Avenue
Transit: 4,5,6 to 59th Street
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We went here on our 4th and last night in NY. Highlight meal! Haven't eaten a steak (or any red meat!) in years, but how could you come here and not have a steak? We each had the Filet Mignon - all perfectly (and differently) cooked. We had complimentary (and delicious) duck pate with toasts first (and a second helping when we complimented!) and the the famous hot Popovers served with butter and sea salt. Great recommendation!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

My family and I went to BLT Steak for my birthday. We ate early, which was one of the reasons it was so quiet. The restaurant is beautifully decorated, but the food is the real star there. From the salad, the the most delicious popovers (that come with the meal), to the steak, lamb chops, veal chops- all were exceptional. Service was excellent as well.I would highly recommend it.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This place had been recommended to us by a friend who lives in NYC.

Expectations were high as he had bigged it up so much and am glad to say this place exceeded them all.

If you want to eat before 9pm you will definitely need to make a reservation.

Service was excellent, they couldn't do enough, without being over bearing.

We decided against appetisers as we were expecting reasonable size portions & wanted to ensure we could enjoy our main courses.

The popovers, which for us Brits, are huge Yorkshire puddings were a lovely delicious surprise.

The food was superb; I had a 22oz bone in Ribeye, which looked more like a forerib of beef roast joint for 2 and as always asked for it rare, the steak was cooked to absolute perfection as were the NYC strip steaks my wife & guest ordered.

Another great thing is that unlike some NYC restaurants, there was no sense of I must eat this quickly and get out, it is a lovely relaxed atmosphere, which meant we could take our time & actually enjoy each mouth full of our food and talk, as even though it was busy, you could actually hear each other.

For desert, my wife had an absolutely sublime & perfectly cooked chocolate ganache tart; I had the warm chocolate tart with pistachio ice cream, which was the lightest sponge tart filling I have ever tasted; our friend, who is originally from Italy but now lives in London and coincidently was in NYC for an evening while we were there, had 3 scoops of ice cream & her exact words were "this is the best coffee ice cream she has ever tasted", praise for this desert doesn't come higher than that.

All the food is made & cooked fresh on the premises, which you would hope & expect from this type of venue.

For those on a bit of a budget, one word of warning is that it was expensive, but in my opinion worth absolutely every penny and would certainly go back on our next trip to NYC!

Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Small resto, full and vibrant, but food quality is just not delivered.

Nice wine list, nice steakhouse style menu, but food quality is poor, everything is very salty which is typical for serving low quality food but trying to fool your palate by boosting the taste with salt.

The bread at the table, big, bold and warm brioche type puffs are amazing but that is the only good surprise. Everything else is a downward spiral.

The service is done by people that do not seem to understand english.

The rating is well above reality. I would give it a Zagat well below 20 for food quality, not 23 like it is today.

Don't waste money on it, just not worth it.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We took out clients to BLT Steak and it was an overall very good experience. They start you off with popovers that were fantastic. They were a hit with the whole group. We had salads for appetizers and I would highly recommend sharing the salads. You could literally make a meal of the portion size. I would say at a minimum one salad would be enough for 3 people as an appetizer. Among the group we ordered hangar steak, filet mignon, hamburger, short ribs and tuna. There was a lot of sharing going on. My filet mignon was delicious and everybody else enjoyed there dinner as well. The hit of the table was the short ribs. They were tender and it melted in your mouth. We had side orders of mashed potatoes, mushrooms and creamed spinach. The side orders were very small orders but they were very good especially the creamed spinach. The service was solid but nothing great. I felt like they were constantly at our table being attentive, but it was almost overbearing. They left our dishes on our table forever during appetizers and it took quite a while for us to receive our main dishes. The bar waiting area is pretty small with only 1 flatscreen TV. When I made reservations they tried to get my credit card information to hold the table so that they could charge me $25 per person for those in my party who did not show up. In fairness, after a brief conversation, she said it wouldn't be necessary and still gave me the reservation for 8. I would recommend this steak house to others, but there are definitely better steak houses in NY.