“Great Bar and Sea Bass”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Park & Madison
Transit: 4, 5, 6 Trains at 59th Street R, N, W Trains at 5th Avenue
Description: A 16-foot Buddha, which floats above a reflecting pool filled with Japanese carp, presides over the scene at Tao. A favorite destination for celebrities and athletes, this Pan Asian restaurant specializes in authentic Hong Kong Chinese, Japanese and Thai cuisines. Tao has three levels of dining including the prized "Skybox" which offers views of this former movie theater unparalleled in New York. In addition to its 300 seats, Tao includes a sushi bar, lounge and two bars at which to enjoy the food and the show. Appetizers range from $8 - $18; Entrees: $16 -$39. Offering $27.50 Prix Fixe Lunch Menu year round.
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Visited NYC for the first time with my niece and sister. My niece has been several times and just wanted good food. On Monday evening we did the pedicab in Central Park then walked across the street to FAO Schwartz and TAO was just east of there. We had made reservations but got their early. The bar waitress was wonderful and helped us with our drinks, even fixed me a delicious virgin mojito. We got seated before our reservation time. The atmosphere is a little loud but wasn't as bad as I was expecting after reading the reviews. They got the sea bass and to be different I got the scallops. I love scallops and these were good but the sea bass was the best. If you are in the area this is a great restaurant but there are many of them in NYC.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We had a booking for dinner, to celebrate my wife's birthday, but were running 30 minutes late due to traffic and I phoned ahead to explain we would be late. On arrival we were asked to wait in the bar. After 30 minutes I went to to the front desk to see when our table would be available and was told it would be at least another 20 minutes, a 50 minute wait in total. I mentioned that if I had been told this when we arrived we would have gone somewhere else for dinner and was told by the front desk " if you want go somewhere else then go"! Not the type of reply I would have expected from an a restaurant like this and suggest some training for the staff as I certainly will be telling friends and family of my experience. Despite this the food and waiting staff were great. Shame for the front desk.

1  Thank Michael I
Reviewed October 18, 2013

food is good but kind of pricey, atmosphere is nice, good lighting and design,you can dance there at late hours

Reviewed October 18, 2013

My first impression was, tourist trap... But hey it was raining, we were hungry and it was the dim sum Sunday special.

Our waiter seemed hung over or something or maybe just bummed out working on a Sunday, but seemed like a nice guy so tipped him well. The menu was a bit scatter gun... Sushi and dim sum? But relatively well executed.

Not the best dim sum I've ever had but not the worst. The bill was a little high for experience and would imagine it's not hard it feel a little under whelmed.

Overall it wasn't that bad and we enjoyed our lunch but felt like if you want sushi there are a whole host of very good places a stones throw from here and if you want dim sum jump in Arab to china town.

Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Went there for lunch with friends, we all ended up ordering the three course lunch menu.

I had soup with spicy seafood dumplings, salad with seared tuna and mango sourbet with fruits in coconut milk . Can definitely recommend all three dishes - excellent food, drinks and service!

The restaurant itself is really cool and authentic. Worth the trip!