“Amazing experience”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Park & Madison
Transit: 4, 5, 6 Trains at 59th Street R, N, W Trains at 5th Avenue
Description: A 16-foot Buddha, which floats above a reflecting pool filled with Japanese carp, presides over the scene at Tao. A favorite destination for celebrities and athletes, this Pan Asian restaurant specializes in authentic Hong Kong Chinese, Japanese and Thai cuisines. Tao has three levels of dining including the prized "Skybox" which offers views of this former movie theater unparalleled in New York. In addition to its 300 seats, Tao includes a sushi bar, lounge and two bars at which to enjoy the food and the show. Appetizers range from $8 - $18; Entrees: $16 -$39. Offering $27.50 Prix Fixe Lunch Menu year round.
Reviewed February 12, 2013

What can I say about this place?
Let's start with the bar. The waiting bar is always packed. It is hard to get a drink but when you get it, it should last you a while because they are powerful! Try the Leechy Martini.
The overall decor has the obvious Asian flare. The large icon in the back of the restaurant is the main focus and is beautiful. One complaint about the atmosphere is that the music is way to loud making it difficult to even hear the person right across from me.

Food!!! It is why people come here. My favorite was the Kobe taretare. If taretare is on the menu, I ALWAYS order it. The sauce was delicious! I could have probably ordered 2 plates of it. The spicy tuna tar tar and crispy rice was just delicious. I even tried to make the crispy rice but failed. We ordered some sushi rolls also, they were way over priced, but I guess it goes along with the location and the amount of celebrities that eat there.

I definitely recommend eating here at least once if you get a chance. Save your money because it will cost a pretty penny. Bring friends because all dishes are served to be shared.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

One of the niciest place to go to eat in NYC right now. Whatever you have, from the sky to the land is very good, dumpling, spring rolls and tempura as well!
The atmosphere is awesome

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We just went to Tao for a birthday and we all were very disappointed.
We were seated on time and the staff was pleasant to us and my daughter who is only two so we started off well. Then came the music....loud doesn't begin to describe it. We even asked if it could be turnt down but was told the owner was there and wouldn't allow it. So being a larger table we had to yell at one another just to converse.
Our waitress was nice enough but she only took our order and then 3 different servers brought our food. That's not an issue but when it comes to grats it's not only for her. Anyway, the food came quickly and was delicious but one of our orders was forgotten, never brought (which by the time we remembered was okay because the portions are quite big) but an acknowledgement or apology would have been nice. It then took ten minutes to get a glass of wine.
When it came time to pay, grats aren't included but suggestions are. The suggestions started at 17 or 18% and honestly it wasn't deserved. It also had to be cash meaning (most likely) the waitress gets it all and as she didn't bring or clear any plates that's not fair and also if you don't have cash how can you tip? We gave a tip that wasn't what they suggested but it was very very close.
On the way out one of us was stopped by a gentleman maybe a manager who asked how it was we said only okay. He didn't ask for details or by further explanation just stated they like 17% we didn't give it and do we want to leave more? How audacious!! If he had even just asked for more info as to why we only had an okay experience it would have been better but he just wanted more money.
I know it's tough these days and we all need everything we can get but that put me off even more. We were very excited to go there and definitely got let down. I don't know if I'd even go back.

1  Thank Bermudagirl89
Reviewed February 9, 2013

My Husband and I went to Tao's and we really enjoyed our food. We got the pork pot stickers, kung pao chicken, orange chicken, and banana pudding for dessert. The Pork Potstickers were absolutely fabulous! However, you only get 5 for $15. Then the main courses came, and they both looked quite appetizing. I liked my Husbands Kung Pao Chicken more than my orange chicken, both dishes were $28. Then we got the Banana pudding dessert which was awesome, and $9.

I didn't give it 5 stars though, because they don't give free refills, and they don't tell you either. Also, I felt the menu was a bit pricey for the quality of the food. The dishes we ordered were some of the cheapest on the menu, and I didn't think the food was anything spectacular, other than the pot stickers. But those were so good, that I would go back, just for those.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We planned to eat at Tao on a Saturday evening, and booked two weeks in advance for 8:30. We arrived on time, and were handed a buzzer and asked to sit in the bar area. This turned out to be a holding pen with about 100 people and no waitress. After struggling to get a drink at the bar, we stood waiting for 45 minutes. Finally my wife asked when our table would be ready. The answer was "You have to wait, we are still working on the people ahead of you." The long wait, poor waiting area, and arrogant attitude convinced us to try elsewhere.