“Excellent Indian Food in NYC”

Dawat Haute Indian Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Dawat Haute Indian Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,983 of 14,592 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 2nd and 3rd Ave.
Transit: 4,5,6,N,R lines – Lexington stop. E,F lines – Lexington stop
Description: Dawat is a fine north Indian restaurant that also serves a couple of south Indian dishes as well. Located in Midtown East, Dawat is one of Manhattan’s finest Indian restaurants that serves an eclectic array of interesting dishes.
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Great dinner from start to finish!! We enjoyed all aspects of our dinner. Chicken and Lamb curries were excellent. Pakora was very good and Naan were excellent.

Great Service

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We last visited Dawat about four years ago. We weren't impressed, and I gave them a mediocre review.
Last Friday, we were in the City with friends, and my wife suggested that we try Dawat again, since our friends had never been there, and are also fans of Madhur Jaffrey.
Very glad we did. Either Dawat has improved dramatically over the last four years, or our last visit caught them on a bad day. No complaints this time.
The service was balanced, efficient and friendly.
The food was excellent: we stuck to the dishes marked in the menu as "Madhur Jaffrey Specials" My wife and I started by sharing a Chicken Tikka Naan. I had Tandoori Lamb Chops and she had some prawn dish. Our friends had fried okra as an appetizer, followed by Lamb Kofta.
For wine, we chose an Indian Shiraz, which turned out to be a perfectly acceptable accompaniment.
Definitely worth a visit.
The moral of this story? When reading reviews, be sure to look at the date. Things can change, often quite rapidly.

Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

I booked a table for 2 whilst on holiday in New York for my boyfriends birthday. After getting off the subway it did take us a couple of minutes to find but what a find it was!
The food is incredible and even before you order there are these amazing cumin studded poppadoms on the table with a spicey dip. You can see the chef making them through the glass window into the kitchen. Now I am vegetarian and quite fussy as I don't enjoy spicey food and they accomodate for everythijg! I had a wonderful dish of paneer in a mild (they ask how hot you would like your food) creamy tomato sauce and my boyfriend had chicken jalfrezi 2hich he said was delicious.
I would highly recommend this place to everyone, even if you aren't crazy about curry

1  Thank Grace H
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The opportunity to dine here, and that's what this place offers, dining, is not to be missed.
Amazing subtle spicing is your first clue to a great palate at work in the kitchen.
The service is welcoming, warm, helpful and just plain good.
Loved coming here, will again and again.

1  Thank William M
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I ate with a friend of mine here, and I dont know why I didnt come back sooner. The interior can be a little cleaned up but the seasonal menu, as recommended by Madhur Jaffrey, was astoundingly good, and spicy and the curries and pastes didnt all taste the same. I really loved the variation on the chicken tikka, which was slathered in green chilis and coriander and grilled. am so going back.

1  Thank kimparklee