“Not great”

Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Lexington Avenue
Transit: Grand Central Station
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

I was told "old school" italian by a trusted source. I was not aware that "old school" was code for average food and terrible service. We likened our service to the soup nazi from Seinfeld. Also, the dining room was tiny and extremely loud making conversation next to impossible. I'm sad that we wasted a night in nyc on this dining experience.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Yesterday two colleagues (with whom I share late June birthdays) and I had lunch at Nanni's. I thought the food was excellent. My prosciutto di Parma was the real thing, and the poached salmon in a sort of brown sauce was absolutely delicious. Now that a former favourite, Salute a few blocks south on Madison Avenue, has degenerated into a catering and event space, I'm happy with Nanni's as a go-to spot for upscale Italian food. It's not cheap, but prices were in line with location and quality. In that respect it is a sort of "anti-Nello's" (that place on Madison in the low 60s which occupied a whole N Y Sunday Times "Haggler" column with its amazing $275 dish of pasta with truffles (a 'daily special' announced, according to the Haggler, without of course mentioning the breathtaking price).

Back to Nanni's: besides the fine food, it has two features which reminded all three of us of genuine dining experiences in Italy: first, it is fairly noisy, and second, the sanitary facilities are a long climb up a faintly grim staircase. In fairness, it does stop well short of the sanitary [sic] facilities sometimes found in Italy, a ghastly hole in the floor; the loo was clean and decently equipped.

Bottom line: worth the price, and worth the climb to wash up.

1  Thank John L
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is pure Italian food and tradition, with staff that has been there for decades, I remember going there in the 90's and I was so glad to know that they are still in business and doing well.
The food selection is great, so many choices, price are very reasonable.
The location from the outside doesn't look like much, but once inside you feel the warm and coziness of the place.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

This place reminded me of the small italian restaurants i grew up with back in Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst. From the bruschetta to the Frutti di mare, everything was excellent in this intimate mid town place.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My hubby and I love having lunch at nanni every now and then. If you are looking for Italian food served the Italian way, this is the place to be. I absolutely love the ambience with a classic feel. the coziness you feel inside the place with all tables usually taken, people discussing stuff over lunch and the owner walking around to meet folks, truly reminds you how much Italians love their food and believe in serving it right. Our favourite is the angel hair pasta cooked with nanni sauce or a special tomato sauce (meat free) which is not on the menu but you can ask them to prepare. Just love it! Enjoy the bread, wine and food the Italian way...