“Nice place!”

Ranked #1,744 of 14,144 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We had a nice dinner here after a day in the city. St. Patrick's Day weekend, so we wanted a nice Irish place! The atmosphere was wonderful. The prime rib was very good, and the mixed drinks were excellent. I was surprised to find that there was NO beer on draft. Everything in bottles. That was ok, but the waitress did NOT know how to pour a beer! Nothing but foam! Over all it was an enjoyable dinner and time with family!

2  Thank CupcakeGirl31

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I recently dined here for the first time, accompanied by a regular customer of this restaurant. From the moment I walked in, I was greeted like family, even though I had never met any of the staff before. The welcome was warm and genuine. Kudos go to the coat check lady, who made an excellent first impression! The decor is warm as well: adequately but gently lit, lots of dark wood, red tablecloths --- understated class. As for the service.... Mary has got to be one of the best waitresses I've ever encountered: knowledgeable, warm, friendly, attentive -- thank you for adding so much to the evening. Both my friend and I had a salad followed by the filet of sole, which was expertly seasoned, tender and flaky --- just right. The Beaujolais wine by the glass was simply delicious. I will be sure to return to this restaurant, and would recommend it wholeheartedly for an enjoyable, understated, classy and delicious night out.

1  Thank worldexplorer0820
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Met up with our daughter ans son-in-law for an early dinner Saturday evening. Neary's was recommended to my wife and lived up to our expectations. This is a very comfortable place for the mature set. Not a typical Irish pub. We had a great table and were able to have a conversation without any distractions. The best however was the food. All of our meals were excellent! The menu offers a lot of choices. We had the halibut, steak, and lamb chops, all perfectly prepared. Also the service was perfect to our wishes, not rushed but attentive. This was a very enjoyable evening.

1  Thank John B
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We call Neary's our "local"—that restaurant near our apartment that always welcomes you, where the bartender is a charmer, the drinks are robust and big, the food is substantial, the waitresses are masters of timing (enjoy your drink, have another ... aaaaannnnd, here's your food!), and owner Jimmy Neary is hospitality personified.

It's a more mature crowd. No one is taking pictures of their food, texting, or tweeting. Here, people have spirited conversations while tucking into comfort food extraordinaire, e.g., meatloaf, liver and onions, roast chicken. If there are other things on the menu, I don't remember. I LOVE this place. It has real New York personality. And that's what it's all about.

1  Thank Andie Z
Reviewed December 19, 2013

If you are looking for consistently good food, a comfortable atmosphere, a friendly owner, excellent wait staff, and reasonable prices, Neary's is the place. Jimmy Neary is a gregarious, generous elf from the old sod who makes dining at his restaurant both an adventure and a pleasure.

2  Thank TomUnitedStates