“Superb service, excellent meal!”
Review of Neary's Pub

Neary's Pub
Ranked #1,689 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Superb service, excellent meal!”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I recently dined here for the first time, accompanied by a regular customer of this restaurant. From the moment I walked in, I was greeted like family, even though I had never met any of the staff before. The welcome was warm and genuine. Kudos go to the coat check lady, who made an excellent first impression! The decor is warm as well: adequately but gently lit, lots of dark wood, red tablecloths --- understated class. As for the service.... Mary has got to be one of the best waitresses I've ever encountered: knowledgeable, warm, friendly, attentive -- thank you for adding so much to the evening. Both my friend and I had a salad followed by the filet of sole, which was expertly seasoned, tender and flaky --- just right. The Beaujolais wine by the glass was simply delicious. I will be sure to return to this restaurant, and would recommend it wholeheartedly for an enjoyable, understated, classy and delicious night out.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank worldexplorer0820

North Hampton, New Hampshire
“Dinner with family”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Met up with our daughter ans son-in-law for an early dinner Saturday evening. Neary's was recommended to my wife and lived up to our expectations. This is a very comfortable place for the mature set. Not a typical Irish pub. We had a great table and were able to have a conversation without any distractions. The best however was the food. All of our meals were excellent! The menu offers a lot of choices. We had the halibut, steak, and lamb chops, all perfectly prepared. Also the service was perfect to our wishes, not rushed but attentive. This was a very enjoyable evening.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank John B
Seattle, Washington
“Midtown East Classic”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We call Neary's our "local"—that restaurant near our apartment that always welcomes you, where the bartender is a charmer, the drinks are robust and big, the food is substantial, the waitresses are masters of timing (enjoy your drink, have another ... aaaaannnnd, here's your food!), and owner Jimmy Neary is hospitality personified.

It's a more mature crowd. No one is taking pictures of their food, texting, or tweeting. Here, people have spirited conversations while tucking into comfort food extraordinaire, e.g., meatloaf, liver and onions, roast chicken. If there are other things on the menu, I don't remember. I LOVE this place. It has real New York personality. And that's what it's all about.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Andie Z
United States
“Another hidden jewel”
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for consistently good food, a comfortable atmosphere, a friendly owner, excellent wait staff, and reasonable prices, Neary's is the place. Jimmy Neary is a gregarious, generous elf from the old sod who makes dining at his restaurant both an adventure and a pleasure.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank TomUnitedStates
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Old Fashioned Irish Pub”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Neary's is on 57th St. between 1st and 2nd Ave and was within 2-3 blocks of our vacation B&B. Our hostess recommended this and we went twice - once stopping for a drink on the way home and back a few days later for dinner. This is a very traditional Irish pub and quite the blast from the past - both decor and menu - but in a good way. It's warm, friendly and full of regulars - many very elderly. Jimmy Neary and the wait staff really looked after these people and treated them (and us) like family. We met people from the neighborhood and another couple from Rochester who come every time they are in the city. It's definitely an older crowd who are drawn to the traditional atmosphere and the food. We had prime rib with baked potato and all the fixings and it was very good and the portion was large so good value for the price (which I think was the special at $24). Entrees range from $18-$36. On our earlier drinks only stop we had a huge basket of delicious fries which I would highly recommend. I think every visit to NYC should include a traditional Irish pub and this was an excellent choice.

• Visited October 2013