“Big steaks”
Review of Sparks Steak House

Sparks Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Sparks Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #200 of 14,308 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Avenues
Transit: Nearest Transit: Grand Central - 42 St (7, 7X), Grand Central - 42 St (4, 5, 6, 6X), 51 St (4, 6, 6X).
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Had a dinner with colleagues, very bright ambiance for a steakhouse. Great wine selection, we took a Barolo pio cesare 2008 and several other California wines. Steak were good and very large....the filets were mignon but only on menu, in the plate were overflowing! Only one issue... they forgot one steak and it come later and in the rush it was bloody rare while my friend asked for medium. Overall a good dinner I can't comment price as I didn't pick the bill but I bet it was pretty high as wine was pretty good and priced.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,164)

Reviewed April 16, 2013

When travelling, I love dining at restaurants unique to the City. Why would I eat at a steakhouse that has an outpost in my hometown, or even worse, one that is based in my hometown? New York has both. We picked Sparks at is a unique New York institution and was within walking distance of our hotel.

When you walk in Sparks you feel like you have stepped back in time. The decor is certainly not state of the art, it is more like a clubby 1970's steakhouse. A lot of the touchs were dated, but I think that adds to the charm of the place.

We started with cocktails that were prepared old-school in the size glasses they used to use. (No 20 oz. martini) We also ordred from the extensive wine list. The list is well-organized by variety, then price. This way, you don't have to search all over the wine list for a Cabernet between $90 and $110, they are all together. The waiter made a big deal of decanting the wine and heating the neck with a candle to collect the sediment. I do not really think this is necessary on a 2008 vintage, but it was great theater.

This place is somewhat about theater. The waiters bring meals on old fashioned carts. They serve individual rolls rather than giving you the bread baseket. They make somewhat of a show of everything. Service could not have been better. The waiter flattered (you are much too young for reading glasses, sir), make a show of the wine service, and in general made us feel like regulars even though it was our one and only time.

The food was excellent. My wife had a filet, cooked just as she had asked (and she likes it overdone in my opinion). I had the lamb chops which were excellent. We also shared hash brown potatoes and creamed spinach. The hash browns were not noteworthy, but everything else was perfect. We split an excellent slice of NY cheesecake. We asked the waiter if he could bring berries with it and he came through in a big way.

Of course, dining in a New York steakhouse is not going to be cheap. I was not surprised or offended by the prices, and we walked out well-fed and well-entertained. I definitely feel that we got our money's worth.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

On my last visit to NYC, I made a point to visit Sparks Steakhouse. I was familiar with it because of the 1980s mob hit out front. It has a classic interior, including walls full of landscape paintings. Overall, I enjoyed the experience but found the menu slightly lacking. It could include a wider range of cuts. I had a filet, which was cooked to perfection. My companion's filet, however, was overcooked although we did not bother to send it back. We also ordered oysters and a ceasar salad - both were outstanding. The drinks too were stiff, and the wine list was impressive. I am satisfied with my experience, but it was not a top flight steakhouse experence. It seemed to be more of a novelty, but I would consider returning for the atmosphere.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

My family and I enjoyed Sparks as it was walking distance from our Hotel. I had been there before several years ago with business associates and liked it then. It was pretty much as I remembered- classy, upscale steakhouse with superior service and food. Morton's, Capital Grille, are all around also, but the bright decor, active dining room, wait staff (some of these grizzly old veterans looked like the originals) just feels more original and New York-ish in atmosphere. I had the sirloin which was perfectly prepared, wife had the veal chop. All delicious including the asparagus side. The salad was huge, way too much for one person- probably should be shared also.

Generally, we're not steak experts of any sort. Don't know all the intricacies of dry-aging or the methods of serving a great steak, But we know it when we see and taste it!! Sparks will not disappoint

Reviewed April 10, 2013

The place is expensive but its really worth every penny you spend. It is more of an experience than just a casual night dining out. The service is impeccable, everyone is willing to help you out with any questions about the menu. Excellent wine choice. I got the swordfish which was cooked to perfection. My partner got the filet which was cooked just how we liked it. The waiters name escapes me but he was beyond knowledgeable with food and wine pairings and even went out of his way to help us pick our main courses. It is service like this that really makes you feel people genuinely care about your experience.