“Steak Superb!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sparks Steak House

Sparks Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Sparks Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #246 of 13,559 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Avenues
Transit: Nearest Transit: Grand Central - 42 St (7, 7X), Grand Central - 42 St (4, 5, 6, 6X), 51 St (4, 6, 6X).
Pass Christian, Mississippi
“Steak Superb!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Wonderful evening with my son! He had a beautiful filet and I had swordfish. Both were cooked to perfection. Expensive and worth every penny! My son's filet was actually too big for him; that is saying much as he attends the military academy in NY. Service could not have been better and detailed! Great evening with my son!

Visited March 2013

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Port Richey, Florida
“Sparks Steak Scores”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'll admit that I'm the fussiest steak eater in the world. And very few places can give me a great piece of meat. But Sparks was one of the best. Perfect center cut with no outliers must have been close to a lb in size. Charred nicely on the outside, perfect medium rare inside. My wife loved her beef medallions. As usual in upscale steak houses, sides are extra, but no fries and I had to settle for hashbrowns. But who has room for sides after that steak? Sweet oysters started the meal and they were glad to give me extra horseradish. Service was swift and efficient with food brought out on carts instead of awkward trays. Fine seating with many nooks and corners. Can't say enough good things. And, yes, it is expensive, but not out of line with a steak house in NYC. Would recommend to anyone.

Darien, Connecticut
“Slophouse steak - the rest okay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Sparks Steakhouse used to be the icon of melt in your mouth steak, and now is just a huge slophouse with truly mediocre steak (at best!) and a tour bus atmosphere. Our children had given us a $200 voucher for dinner which was $100 short with taxes and tip. We were devoted to the place on 18th Street many many years ago, and had not been to the 46th Street location for many years either, so we were pleased to be there. We expected the huge crowd and massive cafeteria of a space. We could overlook that for the anticipated best of breed steak which missed the mark by a long shot. First the rolls -- NY has some of the best bread in the world -- on the verge of stale. We shrugged our shoulders -- that wasn't why we were there. The roquefort salad was large (operative word at Sparks now) and good. As sides, we ordered creamed spinach to share (It was fair) --- I would swear there was creamed brocolli in it), my husband ordered hash browns (fair), and I had baked potato (It was fine.) Then the steaks --- both of us ordered the strip (I think they call it prime or something) --- it arrived very huge, very hot, and cooked as requested, but what a disappointment ----definitely far from the prime meat I've experienced --- so tough we both simply stopped chewing and didn't even take it home to the dogs. I've had better steaks on airplanes. Sparks is all about making money off big crowds ---and putting huge quantities of low quality fare in front of boatloads of people. They've make no effort to maintain the brand quality that left a 30 year memory of goodness in place. Scratch that forever.

1 Thank m0uthful
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Despite reservation we were overlooked by staff and ignored when we entered premises.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

I went to celebrate my girlfriends 40th birthday after booking a table after a recommendation from a friend.

We arrived and was initially ignored and then sent to the bar area. We waited for in excess of 30 minutes after our booked time,and again approached the staff.

People who arrived after us were being seated before us.

Eventually after after getting ready to walk out we were directed to a small cramped table. There was no evident reason for the delay and no apology.

We ordered and the food arrived the serving staff were first rate and this did somewhat make up for it. The food was very good and well cooked.

If people ask me if I would recommend you . I will say the food was good but seriously your front of house staff are rude ignorant and do not set a good example.

Will I come again ?

1 Thank Kesbo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Best steak ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

You cannot believe the size of steaks! Place oozed class and should be on everyones list for eating out in New York

Visited April 2013