“The ONLY placefor a great steak PLUS”
Review of Sparks Steak House

Sparks Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Sparks Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #396 of 14,908 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Avenues
Transit: Nearest Transit: Grand Central - 42 St (7, 7X), Grand Central - 42 St (4, 5, 6, 6X), 51 St (4, 6, 6X).
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Its always reliable here, you are never disappointed and if you go with steak lovers and you aren't one, they have an excellent selection of fresh interesting fish made to order. Everything here is BIG so you might want to share. My slamon was large enough for 3 people. A potato is giant size. The wine list is wonderfu. Service is perfect and they make it all about you.

We also like that if we go in there late at night and order light, we are not frowned upon. Its just consistantly great, which I can not say about many of the other places here in the City. We live here and go out to dinner most nights. I try and be fair. It just has a true NY Steakhouse feel here and even the bathrooms are CLEAN..

1  Thank ELSUSHI921
Write a ReviewReviews (1,238)

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Walked in on a Saturday @ 5:30ish bar was practically wrapped, but we were able to get a seat. The bartender served us promptly we great pours. He asked if we had a reservation we said no he said that would be ok that it was still early. After about 45 minutes at the bar we were seated at a table and let me tell you the placed got crowded fast. I loved all the artwork on the wall. Service was impeccable, they never missed a beat someone was always there, your treated like royalty. The size of the steak is gigantic we ended up sharing it. If you want good steak this is a must go to place.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The food was excellent those that had steaks served to perfection, one that had fish was excellent.
The waiters were at your beck and call and did not over power you.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

If you love good food, great wine and top class service you have to go to Sparks. Family recommended it to us after asking a taxi driver to take them to a place for a good steak.

We were not disappointed. We have been twice on both visits to New York and we will return if we go to New York in the future.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

The outside does not have much appeal however you will be very impressed by the interior. This is a very upscale establishment that includes a large bar complete with high end “barflies” looking for someone special. There was a fairly large cigar section which I guess would be the equivalent of package goods at a local bar. I was looking for a 12 year old scotch but was told they only have 18 year old scotch or older … touché! While waiting for our last party member we grabbed a libation at the bar and had the tab moved to the table which is not often allowed.
Our order was basic … individual appetizers, entrees and a combination of sides. Two of us had the shrimp and two had the prosciutto and melon. The shrimp were of decent size but pricey and the melon had the most prosciutto I had ever seen!

Three of us ordered the boneless sirloin and one the halibut. I have had worse steaks elsewhere but can’t think of too many that were better. The halibut was also well received. Sides included baked potatoes, mushrooms and sauteed spinach. All were very good.
There is an extensive wine list and if money were no object you could have a field day. We shared one bottle of California Cabernet and finished off with coffee but no desert. We received individual coffee pots at $5 / pot which I considered a good deal.

The service was so, so and I felt like I should have left less after not even getting a thank you for a 20% tip. At one point during an important business discussion the waiter decided he was going to make it an all about him moment and “undressed” the tablecloth very slowly. I also do not like it when the waiter stands over you as you sign the credit card receipt and tries to goad you into leaving more than you normally might because of the pressure. I also asked the waiter to validate my parking pass but he told me I had to go to the bar to get it done. Not sure if this was policy or laziness.

You can park across the street at the Imperial garage for $13 if you "got the bar" to stamp your stub!