“Where is your button for six stars when we need it?” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amma

Amma
Reserve with OpenTable
Amma is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #987 of 13,489 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 2nd & 3rd Ave
Transit: 6 train, 51st Street Station
Kentucky
“Where is your button for six stars when we need it?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

As soon as we entered Amma, we knew it was special. Even with elegant touches here and there, there was zero stuffiness or pretension. Most of the diners were rather quiet, a few were sort of raucous, but all were obviously having a great time. The big wine list came first, and included some I-just-won-the-lottery bottles. Not having done so, we both opted for glasses of a very affordable New Zealand Chardonnay, and were glad we did. And then the food, all of it excellent. Some over-the-top delicious dishes included: the crispy okra strips; the tamarind/mint sauce that comes with some of the appetizers; the tandoori chicken; and the rice pudding with pistachios. And the service was possibly the best we've ever encountered (we're in our 60's), extremely attentive but without any of the phony hovering that we can't stand. Genuinely nice people. To conclude, we feel that on a four-day trip we experienced both the Alpha and the Omega of New York dining. The Omega was a Financial District Italian place that officially has the worst pizza in the Western Hemisphere. The Alpha was, of course, Amma.

Portland, OR
“Upscale Indian Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

good service..check, good food...check, atmosphere, very crowded...really the only downside. I asked what region of India their food specialized in and they said, everywhere. That was new to me. My husband and I decided to try their tasting menu and it was delicious. the spices and flavors were fresh and popped in my mouth. I had the spicy lamb curry, which was delicious and my spouse had the tandoori lamb chop, not so much. It is small and crowded. I believe they cram as many people as they can, but, I look at crowded as a good sign, and in this instance, it was!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Pretty Good Indian Food Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

We ate dinner here recently. We had the trio of rice, chicken tikka masala, and saag paneer. We enjoyed both the food and the atmosphere even though my mango lassi never arrived! The service was good otherwise. We enjoyed the chai tea after our dinner. The entrance to the restaurant is weird. It is a small place. Would return and recommend to others.

Visited October 2013
New York City, New York
“Great Chicken Vindaloo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is indeed a very,very good Indian Restaurant ,close to everything basically and located in the Sutton Place area.
Being a fervent enthusiast and connaisseur of genuine Indian food through my past journeys to Delhi,London... and my recent visits to other fine Indian establishments in Manhattan,I can honestly say I have been very impressed in particular with their chicken Vindaloo preparation.The taste and its consistency were remarkabl:spicy,flavourful, but not at all overwhelming to the point of being nearly impossible to swallow.
A well deserved A+ for the chicken vindaloo!
The chicken mulligatawny also was very good and I am sure it is worth having especially on a chilly,wintery day.
Not to be forgotten also,the shrimps,which were excellent and prepared in a masterful way,along with their delicious sauce.
Overall,the one and only constructive criticism I have for this great little Indian Restaurant lies in a minor detail which should not be overlooked in such a good restaurant and that is the Chai Masala.
First and foremost,I was brought a cup of "Lipton Tea",along with the Lipton sachet ,very different in aroma and feel from some of the wonderful,aromatic brewed Masala teas I have had even here in New York.
As I am accustomed to ask for a second cup ,at the end of my meal,I was brought a second cup by a polite waiter,again,with a very standard Lipton tea bag.
To my surprise,when the check was brought,I noticed I had been charged twice,that is,for each cup of what they refer to as Masala tea. I honestly was upset by that because ,I repeat,in many other fine Indian Restaurants in NY,I have been served excellent,freshly brewed,fragrant Masala teas and have been charged only once,not for every time I had a cup.
I trust and hope this Restaurant will take this matter into consideration,because,even though it might seem as a minor point,it does leave a "negative spot" on the overall experience of dining in this little Jewel of a Restaurant.

Las Cruces, New Mexico
“excellent and authentic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Tiny place with delicious food and friendly service. We had the Cochin crab cakes, which were succulent and perfectly cooked; Tandoori prawns and the vegetable vindaloo were terrific as well. Price slighlt on the high end but appropriate for the neighborhood and quality.

• Visited September 2013