“Amma is the best Indian food in NYC!”
Review of Amma

Amma
Reserve with OpenTable
Amma is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #902 of 13,826 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 2nd & 3rd Ave
Transit: 6 train, 51st Street Station
Port Washington, New York
“Amma is the best Indian food in NYC!”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Amma is a small, unpretentious restaurant that is easy to miss because of it's upstairs location. But it has some of the finest Indian food I've ever eaten -- in NYC, in particular -- it is outstanding. The food is well-prepared, inventive,and varied. The service is excellent, accommodating and attentive. Overall, a unique Indian dining experience -- don't miss it! ( Be sure to tell them if you want things mild or medium.) Lunch here is a delight; dinner is more extravagant.

• Visited July 2013

Toronto,Canada
“Never had Indian food in courses”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I read many reviews and since we were staying at the Intercontinental Barclay's we wanted to try it. It was only 2 of us and another diner at about 1230pm. The food was good but Indian food is not meant to be served as courses, you bring everything and let the diner savour the different varieties. Oh well, I guess to each is own, but next time in NYC I have to try a different Indian restaurant. We had the 16.95 3 course meal, the 2 young waiters were very friendly and attentive, that is about what made our visit enjoyable.
It's ok nothing to rave about.

• Visited September 2013
Michigan
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Went here during restaurant week 2013 and did the dinner fixed price. Excellent food, very good service. Would definitely recommend.

• Visited August 2013
North Wales
“Still the best Indian Restauant In NYC”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We visited last year in fashion week having read the reviews and had an outstanding meal. Visiting again this year, took my In laws along too. The restaurant is in a narrow building and you enter via a side door which is quirky! The dining room is intimate and comfortable. All of the staff are attentive and friendly and the Maitre D runs the room well, once we were recognised as Brits the waiters talked football and cricket with my father in law! The Prix Fixe menu had a good selection, my starter was lamb in a sweet chilli sauce that was tasty without being overpowering and Chicken Tikka Massala as my main. The portions are a good size large enough to enjoy and they give you a chance of eating three courses. The wine list is excellent with good country choice and prices to suit all, we had an Argentinian Malbec that was a good partner to the food. Looking forward to going again when we next visit.

• Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Maybe it was an off-day, but 2-3 stars max”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Not sure what happened, this is a generous three stars. I love Indian food and was very excited to try this place. We went during Restaurant Week, and to be fair, I sometimes think the quality of food goes down during this period. In any event, we had four courses, soup, hot starter, entree and dessert. The soup was really bad. It was a cold, cucumber-based soup, but it was very sour and poorly balanced. The hot appetizer also was overly sour with overpowering sauces. I had a lamb korma entree which was very good, the best part of the meal. My wife had chicken teeka massala, which was average at best (and dry). The naan was good, but the rice was nondescript. The pistachio ice cream for dessert was decent.

Also, the place is a little poorly marked - you think you are going in a side door, but it's the main entrance (I think). The interior is also quite basic, and there were huge stains on some of the seating. Cutlery was ancient. Service was good. I might try it again, because obviously lots of people are loving this place, but overall, a real disappointment today.

• Visited August 2013