“Best Greek seafood restaurant- period.”
Review of Avra Estiatorio

Avra Estiatorio
Reserve with OpenTable
Avra Estiatorio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #208 of 14,394 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Greek, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 3rd Ave. and Lexington
Transit: All trains to Grand Central Station. 4,5,6 to 51st Street.
Description: Avra Estiatorio is a restaurant that transports you to the Greece of your imagination. The sky is vivid blue and the air is drenched with sunlight and the aroma of freshly caught fish grilling over an open fire.
Reviewed July 13, 2014

The restaurant is always packed -whether it's lunch- or dinner-time, and rightly so. Starting from the fresh crusty bread, the olives, the delicious hummus and radishes, nothing tops its appetizers - the Greek salad, the outstanding seabass appetizer, the grilled hallucination cheese, and the freshest fish around. We recently had the prix fixe lunch menu, with grilled calamari, grilled fish and a mouthwateringly delicious honey-walnut cake. Top stars for Avra!

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

While staying at The Lexington across the street, we tried to revisit a restaurant on 2nd ave that we had been to before, only to find it was closed. Used tripadvisor to see what was reviewed well nearby. Turned out, we had a gem right across the street from our lobby! Went to Avra at 5pm on a Friday and were able to be seated at an outdoor table without a wait. Pleasantly surprised by a generous plate of Greek olives, radishes, hummus and very nice bread. We were just planning to get appetizers, opted for the gigantic Lima beans cooked in a tomato sauce, a dipping platter to share with pita, yellow lentil dip, eggplant dip and an almond garlic dip. My husband also ordered the mussels and a glass of Malbec. The food was incredible, and portions were huge. We had dinner reservations elsewhere for later that evening, this was filling enough! Had no idea there was a beautiful display of fish, vegetables, olives and bread at the back of the restaurant, until I got up to find the bathroom. It was beautiful. If I weren't pregnant, I would have stayed for hours eating seafood and enjoying the wine. We both loved the place. Only complaint is if you sit outside, you are close to a little sitting area off the street where everyone goes to smoke, including the restaurant employees. While the smell didn't really get too close, I'd rather not see my chefs and servers lighting up. Otherwise, the restaurant is really pretty, location is quiet, and food is excellent. Would definitely go back if ever in that area again.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

There aren't a lot of high-end greek restaurants in Manhattan- this is one of the best, but it retains it's down home charm. Packed with fun people, it's as much about the social scene as the food.

My wife and I had a great dinner pre-theatre; It was the first time for my wife, so we started with the spanakopita, which was succulent, flavorful without being overly salty and just, well, divine. They price their fresh fish by the pound, and our waiter did a great job finding us the right fish- an american snapper simply grilled and served tableside. Even the sides were perfectly prepared. Desert? Baklava of course. Sweet, nutty, flaky, perfect.

Great food, great scene, great experience.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed an amazing dinner at Avra last week. Everything was top notch -- the food, the service, and the atmosphere. We both had a hard time deciding among the many seafood options. Our waiter was most helpful and guided us to the perfect choices, sea bass and shrimp. The restaurant was full but the liveliness provided a fun atmosphere and the staff never missed a beat. I highly recommend this restaurant. We plan to return on another visit.

Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Very good greek restaurant on 48 St. Beautiful place, lively at lunch time. The lunch menu is good and the price is reasonable. I recommend.