“Disappointing experience”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Southeast corner of 58th Street and 7th Avenue
Transit: N, W, R & Q trains to 57th Street; A, B, C & 1 trains to Columbus Circle.
Description: Founded in 1984, New York Petrossian restaurant is housed in the historic Alwyn Court Building on Manhattan's West Side, one block from Carnegie Hall and four blocks from Lincoln Center. Owned by the Petrossians, it serves a French-influenced contemporary menu that features the caviar, smoked fish, and foie gras delicacies for which Petrossian is known throughout the world. Lunch, dinner, & brunch can be enjoyed at either the art deco style mirrored bar or in the dining room. Designed by Ion Oroveanu, the restaurant features Lalique crystal wall sconces, bronze sculptures from the 1930's, etched Erte mirrors, Lanvin chandelier and pink Finnish granite, all harmonizing to create a visual ambiance that can be savored equally with the unsurpassed gourmet experience.
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We went to the Petrossian during our stay in NYC. The experience left much to be desired. The manager was very rude and the food was just mediocre. Our fish was a bit smelly, and the waiter informed us that their fish is delivered on Tuesdays, just once a week, so having gone on Sunday, it was not fresh. That was his excuse. I would not recommend this restaurant, as the experience was so unpleasant, we had to go to another restaurant to have a second dinner.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

My friend and I had dinner at Petrossian during our stay in NYC and this restaurant cannot be faulted. The food was absolutely delicious and I recommend the sturgeon main course - not a fish I have tried before but was well worth the try. Lovely atmosphere - I could almost imagine Jacqui Onassis dining there. The only downside to our visit was a small show of poor service - asking for drinks that did not appear and then go mixed up etc. However, a small blip compared to the excellent meal and great atmosphere. Will definitely visit again.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Like my first visit 15 years ago, this occasion was for dinner. Stepping out of a wet and thundery New York evening into this beautifully decorated Art Nouveau setting with my wife was like coming home. A cordial welcome, excellent service, luxurious appointments, and a 3-course dinner on a Sunday night for $36 seemed too good to be true, but true it most certainly was. An affordable bottle of wine accompanied by our starters ---- a gloriously savory beef carpaccio, and the most delicious smoked salmon I have ever tasted ----- got us under way. Next up, seared sturgeon flavoured with caviar butter and white sauce accompanied by sautéed cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and parsnip medallions ( $8 supplement), and pan-seared striped bass in a bouillabaisse sauce with basil-lime risotto and candied pearl onions.
The desserts were less exotic but ample in quantity and flavor: apple tart with cinnamon ice-cream, and what was billed as German chocolate brownie with vanilla ice-cream but was really a more exotic form of pastry than the term implies. All dishes wee artistically prepared and impeccably presented. Details such as the bread and the handling of the wine could not have been improved. I would nominate this flawless establishment and its regular prix fixe dinner ( same price as its lunch) as the best bargain to be found in the Big Apple after 5pm.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Three of us went for the Restaurant Week prix-fixe menu. The dilled smoked salmon starter was delicious, the bream and sturgeon main courses just about perfect, but the chicken breast not very good--dried out as if it had spent too long on a steam table, my companion said. The desserts tasty, but small. We usually have fish and/or caviar here and would advise sticking to what they do best. Someday we'll try the meat dishes, I suppose.

The wine list is varied, the service attentive, the ambience posh and the noise level very nice. The restaurant week meal portions are not overly large, which can be a real advantage.

1  Thank NewYorker10458
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Came here with hubby during Restaurant Week. Called at 11:30 am, asked for 12:00 pm reservation for lunch - no problem. I was really excited to dine here and it was my first time. However, hostess took 3 attempts to get my name and cell phone number correctly. Hostess and "head" waitress not very warm, hardly smiled. Not the best first impression. The same hostess I booked with over the telephone, could not find my name on the reservation list. Searched and searched. Hostess sat us at an undesirable table and didn't bother to ask if it was to our liking. Mind you, we were the first diners of the day, and there was a sea of empty tables. Staff appeared borderline depressed. Decor - '20s style - formal, but drab and slightly melancholic. Right when we first walked into the restaurant, we looked at each other and wrinkled our noses at one another - there was a unwelcoming musty stench. Before ordering, I visited their restroom, which was quite unremarkable and dated. Looks like I was back in the 80s. Needs renovation. We ordered from their prix-fixe menu, and unfortunately - even though we were probably were the first patrons of the day - they no longer had the much anticipated "mixed fruit cocktail cake with cardamom ice cream". As a consolation, the appetizers that we both ordered, the salmon mousse w/baguette crackers, red caviar (aka salmon roe), baby beets, micro greens were quite delectable. Enjoyed the different textures and crispiness of the baguette against the creamy mousse and bursting caviar. The entrees were also very good. I ordered the salmon, which I thought was above averaege, not memorable. My husband's pan roasted pacific cod was very fresh, tasted as if it was freshly caught - flaky, moist and flavorful. The chickpea sauce was overpowering and had a sour and rancid taste which unfortunately masked the cod's scrumptuosness and overall potential. Desserts were great. The substitute for the fruit cake was the apple tart with cinnamon ice cream which was wonderful. The assorted sorbets (raspberry, pineapple and citrus) were homemade and refreshing. Again, the staff was not attentive. We asked for our bill and the waitress nodded, and went to two tables to take orders and tend to other things until we gave up and asked the bus boy for his assistance. We left without a single "thank you for coming", "good bye" or acknowledgement. You would expect more hospitality and at least a smile - both upon entering and leaving. Didn't happen. Not sure if we're going to return. With the history of this restaurant and the story of the Petrossian brothers and their passion for quality, it's disappointing to see the standard of such a landmark and internationally acclaimed restaurant fall like this.