“Wow! Made my birthday super special”
Review of Per Se

Per Se
Reserve with OpenTable
Per Se is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 13,823 Restaurants in New York City
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 60th Street
Transit: 1,9,B,D,A,C to Columbus Circle
NYC
“Wow! Made my birthday super special”
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

A phenomenal experience. Service was great, made to feel so special, from personalized menu through deserts to take home at the end. Food was varied and all plates were thoughtfully constructed and beautifully presented. If you have a special occasion to celebrate, this is the place!

Visited April 2014

New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best!”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

By far the best food ever! Everything from service to food, drinks, dessert was impeccable! Great for a special occasion.

1 Thank Rasb762
Reading, Berkshire
“Somewhat Underwhelmed”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

My wife and I have been fortunate to eat in many of the finest restaurants in the world (10 plus 2 and 3 Michelin Starres establishments) and so we wanted to ensure we ate in New York's finest during our recent trip.
I can't say the meal was poor, or the service was less than good, but it is fair to say that it was a mixed bag and as an overall experience it does not compare well with it's British and French equivalents.
The location is slightly bizarre: at the top of a shopping mall with a rather strange trip up several floors past the shoppers to get to the restaurant, but the views are nice with Central Park on view.
The service is adequate, but in my opinion not worthy of a 3 Michelin Star establishment. On 3 seperate occaisions I had to remind the sommelier that we were still waiting for our wine (allowing 5 mins each time before reminding) and overall the service lacked the warmth of other 3 michelin star establishments we have eaten at. There was no goodbye from any of the staff as we left who seemed dissapointed in my lowly $140 tip!
The food was an odd mix and as others have hinted the continual change to the menu does the team no favours in trying to eprfect a dish. It is no coincidence that the "Oysters and Pearls", the ever present, was by far the best dish and actually was superb. My wagyu beef was superb but at an extra $100 on top of the $295 per head it rather ought to have been. On this subject I do not object at all to the price ($1200/£800 before tip), as it is in the ball park of similar restaurants (about 20% more than others) but top dollar really should bring the very best food and sevice and it simply did not.
The deserts were rather bland and lacking in flavour and my wife could not chew her Veal given the toughness of the meat. Petit Fours were excellent as were the "take home" cookies. Our fish sadly was very overcooked and very firm, again something really unforgiveable in such surroundings.
I feel that we have perhaps been spoiled by such establishments as The Waterside Inn at Bray where everything is to the standard of the best Per Se could manage, so perhaps for those enjoying their first 2/3 Michelin Star experience Per Se might wow them. For us however, little failings in service, tough meat, overcooked fish and a huge bill simply do not go together.

New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Prolific Experience”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Top 10 restaurants in NYC....easily Per Se is 1,two and trois.
Easy...two tasting menus to choose from then, let the chef do his job. Paired with a few glasses of wine and your buds are in total bliss.
Desert is an understatement, as the petite 4s keep coming. A wonderful experience beyond a restaurateur can explain.

Please note the bellow average reviews are highly suspect ,seems their preferential and highly acclaimed were to Le McDonald or huckleberry chicken house on Bleeker street.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Robere B
france
“Per se = LIAR”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I have called "per se" and they told me to call 30 days ahead at 10 am.
I asked if they take single person and they replied yes.

I called 30 days ahead at 9.57 am and recorded message said it's closed.
I keep calling until 10 am and recorded message finally said it's opened and please hold.
After 16 MINUTES wait on the phone, they picked up and asked for how many people. I told them one and they told me they're full.

I did the same call 6 months and 2 years ago in calling 30 days ahead and same reply. (We're full....)

I called back and asked for 2 people and it was available...

They may say they only have one table for one person but it can not be booked that fast on 3 different tries. I'll bet my first born that I can try again and again and will have the same reply. Also if a table is available for two it's also available for one.

Why they DON'T TELL THE TRUE and said they accept single person when they do not

16 minutes hold is not acceptable in all industries especially in the service industry especially at this supposed high level.

In my opinion not accepting single reservation is not acceptable for a service industry company, nor a 3 stars michelin restaurant, nor 5 stars forbes etc

I'd love to receive a reply from the restaurant to this message.

19 Thank cedricgerald