“Per se = LIAR” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Per Se

Per Se
Reserve with OpenTable
Per Se is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 13,478 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 60th Street
Transit: 1,9,B,D,A,C to Columbus Circle
france
“Per se = LIAR”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

I have called "per se" and they told me to call 30 days ahead at 10 am.
I asked if they take single person and they replied yes.

I called 30 days ahead at 9.57 am and recorded message said it's closed.
I keep calling until 10 am and recorded message finally said it's opened and please hold.
After 16 MINUTES wait on the phone, they picked up and asked for how many people. I told them one and they told me they're full.

I did the same call 6 months and 2 years ago in calling 30 days ahead and same reply. (We're full....)

I called back and asked for 2 people and it was available...

They may say they only have one table for one person but it can not be booked that fast on 3 different tries. I'll bet my first born that I can try again and again and will have the same reply. Also if a table is available for two it's also available for one.

Why they DON'T TELL THE TRUE and said they accept single person when they do not

16 minutes hold is not acceptable in all industries especially in the service industry especially at this supposed high level.

In my opinion not accepting single reservation is not acceptable for a service industry company, nor a 3 stars michelin restaurant, nor 5 stars forbes etc

I'd love to receive a reply from the restaurant to this message.

• Visited March 2014

• Polish first
Somerville, Massachusetts
“Transcendent Dining!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

We’ve experienced French Laundry on the West Coast as well and Per Se is just as divine, yet different. The creations are to die for and the service is impeccable. It’s not inexpensive, but if you’re a foodie, it’s so worth saving up for it. This is cuisine at it's apex.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank BeantownBoy69
“Simply outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Having been to The French Laundry several times, we were anxious to go to Per Se. We had a wonderful experience from begining to end.
Our seating was at 5:30 so when we arrived they were not open yet but we were warmly greeted and coats taken. When seated we were spoken to by all the staff that was ready to serve us. The main dining room looks out over Columbus Circle and has a great fireplace. We were seated on the upper tier. Initially I was disappointed we didn't have a window table but soon realized our view was better where we were.
The service, as at The French Laundry, was outstanding. Everyone loves their job there! So pleasant, friendly and totally unpretentious. The prix fixe menu is a bit pricey but everything was incredibly delicious, well timed and presented in a unique fashion.
My favorite was at the end we were offered to choose from a box of 24 pieces of candy. When it was presented, the server described each and every one. I asked him to go back a couple times and he never missed a beat. And the ones I chose were fantastic.
The grande finale was a tour of the amazing kitchen.
It was a very special evening that will not soon be forgotten.

Nassau, New Providence Island
“Exceptional with a few detractions...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

A beautiful dining room and attentive staff with some French Laundry classic dishes worth visiting at least once for; Gougeres, Salmon Cones, Oysters & Pearls, Coffee & Doughnuts...

Some of the mains were a let down, the duck was served inexplicably without the pastrami accomponiment, the butter poached lobster had too much bite for our liking and my wife found the fish course a little underdone. Keep in mind that if you want the full experience and expect Oestra caviar, foie gras, truffles and Wagyu beef, you will need to pay extra for it and you will end up with a bill of closer to $800 per person for food alone before tax. With two half bottles of the most affordable options on the wine list and selective supplements, we left with a bill of close to $1300.

The large and boisterous tables of diners supported by expense accounts didn't add to the quiet and romantic nature of the dining room, but perhaps this is a Friday night issue as the clientele on a previous Saturday lunch were much more in keeping with the setting.

Despite the minor issues above, this is an unmissable fine dining experience, just be prepared to pay for it and don't expect the theatrics of similarly priced offerings at EMP and Alinea.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Lisbon, Portugal
“Still wonderfull”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

This is not the first time we went to Per Se. So we knew what we were expecting and the bar was high. Service pace and staff attitude were irrepreensible. We heard that in one review from the sanitary inspection they got a "C" so without anybody mentioning it, we were invited to see the kitchen. Good marketing tool. It is still our best restaurant in NYC.

Visited March 2014