“Best Restaurant i even been period!”
Review of Per Se

Per Se
Reserve with OpenTable
Per Se is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 14,468 Restaurants in New York City
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 60th Street
Transit: 1,9,B,D,A,C to Columbus Circle
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Being a chef and a culinary maniac i get to go to several countries to try Restaurants around the world! being in a lot of 3 Starts Michelin Rests i must say Perse is the best one so far!

French Backround with american ingredients, Freshest ingredients as possible, combined with amazing culinary techniques make Per Se my Fav rest all time! Even better that French Laundry!!!
Thomas Keller Flag Ship Rest!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,584)

Reviewed December 12, 2013

If inexpensive is what you are looking for you picked the wrong restaurant. Interestingly, I would say that this restaurant is a good value. The manpower that it takes to run a restaurant of this nature is likely 5 or 6 times that of a standard high end restaurant. The kitchen is larger than the restaurant and the kitchen staff out numbers the remaining staff. This lends itself to an unforgettable experience. The selection of dishes was perfectly balanced although, perhaps there was one dessert too many. As far as Michelin 3 star restaurants, I believe that Per Se meets the standard and while it lacks a little in ambience of Michel Bras' restaurant in France it was still a wonderful evening.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

There are places that serve good food and they are good restaurants but there are a few places that serve an experience on a plate and this is one of them. It is a foodies paradise. Go for the tasting menu and concentrate on chat between courses but the combinations and quality of the ingredients when the plate is in front of you. Listen to the explanantion and then just enjoy. If you are used to this type of restaurant it will still be a delight and if you are not it may well be a bit overwhelming in the quality of everything, produce used, combinations created, wines available and also of course the great service, but if that is the case then you must go to have that experience. The staff provide great attention to everything and have a great balance between proper service and friendliness. Our table was by the window overlooking Columbus Circle and Central Park with the lights of the city shining. We had a bottle of champagne in the seating area where our party of four met up and relaxed before going to our table. This is a restaurant amongst those which are the best in the world. It is real gourmet food at its finest.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Thomas Keller is an excellent cook, but it would be doubtful he would serve anything at his home that is served at Per Se. It is truly a waste of an excellent space with a great view of Central Park at one of the premier addresses in New York. What it has in ambiance, it lacks in the average food that is served. From the Oysters and Pearls to the Nova Scotia Lobster in your mouth and senses you had the feel of something manufactured in a kitchen where the staff is bored making the same things over and over again for overbearing patrons. The food is not very good, but the presentation is almost too much. Like any high end restaurant the service is very good and you get lots of attention. It is also a pity that they don't do a proper wine pairing settling instead for bottles of wine which while excellent may not be suited for every dish. If you are expecting the experience you would have in Paris, you would be sorely disappointed as the price is the same or more at Per Se with the experience being far less. New York is a mecca of amazing food. Go somewhere else.

3  Thank ItMatters85
Reviewed November 28, 2013

This was my second time at Per Se and I enjoyed it 100x more than first thanks to my best friend Y who treated me to a very special lunch topped off with a menu printed with my name!

We had the 7 course tasting and it was an overwhelming amount of food (in a good way!) We started with the amuse bouche which were gruyere cheese balls that melted in my mouth and the infamous Salmon cones.

I'm not normally an adventurous eater but given that this was Per Se, I knew I was in good hands and I was willing to try anything.

We started with the Oysters and Pearls which had this amazing buttery sauce that I wanted to scoop up by the spoonful.

The next course was the salad of charred fuyu persimmons which was light but flavorful.

I had the Sea Trout and the Lobster - both were amazing.

The meat course of the day was Lamb which I'm not a huge fan of so I asked them to replace it with beef. When I asked the adorable waiter how it was prepared, he said skillfully - and he was absolutely right. The off menu dish was bursting with flavor.

By the time dessert came, we were stuffed but everything we tasted was delicious. We even took the "candies" home

It was a truly memorable meal in a beautiful setting with amazing views and top notch service.