“Fantastic!”
Review of Per Se

Per Se
Reserve with OpenTable
Per Se is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 13,936 Restaurants in New York City
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 60th Street
Transit: 1,9,B,D,A,C to Columbus Circle
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Simply, from start to finish, one of the best dining experiences that can be had. If you are lucky enough to get a reservation, definitely go!

2  Thank carl53mc
There are newer reviews for Per Se

Reviewed September 10, 2013

During our recent visit to New York City, my wife and I had the opportunity to dine with our son and daughter-in-law at Per Se. It was quite an experience and a dinner we will not soon forget. We enjoyed a well paced meal with impeccable service. On the topic of service, it was very good and professional, perhaps a bit too professional. We thought the staff seemed a little stiff and they lacked a bit of warmth. The ambiance was amazing and the views spectacular. The food was very artistically presented. We all enjoyed the "Chef's Tasting Menu". From the oysters and pearls to the desserts, the dishes were well balanced in richness and texture. The wines were well paired and complemented the dishes perfectly. It was a lovely evening!

1  Thank 482,850
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I arrived at "per se" with my boyfriend without reservation because the steak house near that was already closed. We asked if they had a table for 2 and we had to wait almost 10 minutes standing at the reception before they gave us an answer (3 people had to check). Finally we got a table, not in the main restaurant but in the "lounge"... I can't understand why it was so complicate to find space for us if the restaurant was almost empty!! anyway, the table wasn't set up, we had to wait 5 minutes before someone gave us 2 glasses and some water (the waiter spilled it on the table and he didn't wipe it), 5 minutes more to have the wine list (an I-pad wine list), and after that finally we had the menu and the cutlery. Unfortunately that was the "lounge menu" and not the restaurant menu, so there were only few main courses and that's it...I wanted a starter and some meat but I finished ordering just one dish of pasta. I was really upset for that, they should have told us the menu was different, so we could have gone to another place!! after taking the order (the waiter didn't write what we wanted), they gave us bread...I have to say that was the best part of the meal, the portion was good size and the bread was really fresh. For our food we had to wait 50 MINUTES because in the meantime they arrived with the wrong order and we had to send it back...OMG!! when finally we could eat, the food was good. we didn't order any dessert (I was so tired that I wanted to leave asap) and they presented us the bill hand-written... I was really shocked, they have the I-pad wine list but the bill is hand-written! and the bill wasn't clear at all, no name of the dishes or the wine, only "food: $$" with the price, "beverage: $$" with the price and "taxes: $$" with the amount...that's it. Unbelievable!
For sure I won't go back again!! :S

15  Thank Stella_stellina84
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I visited Per Se snagging a reservation after months of unsuccessful attempts. We managed to get a 5:30 reservation and when we were seated there were only 3 other tables that were occupied. I started with a gin and Per Se's house tonic made with their own quinine powder. It was the best G&T I have ever had!
The food service started with a gruyere cheese ball - excellent! Next was the salmon ice cream cone, where we had the nights first service faux pas. I preferred eating it with a fork, but one of their wait staff came over and said it was finger food so I should not eat with a fork....

Then came their signature dish - oysters and pearls. Every bit as good as reviewers have described!
Then followed halibut, lobster and duck. Each of which I can say in all seriousness was the best I have ever had and accomplished the goal of teasing your palate with sensational flavors leaving you wanting more..however the meal crested midway there. I ordered the lamb and my friend ordered the wagyu beef (which was a $100 supplement). However, they got us both lamb and when my friend said he had ordered beef the waiter who took our orders came around and said he thought he had heard "lamb" and did not apologize for his mistake. Yes they sound completely alike, dont they? That was the 2nd faux pas.
When the beef came it was smaller than a medallion, which was very disappointing given you were paying $100 extra, although the beef was excellent!
Then came the cheese (very good not out of the world) and then a chocolate dessert and finally an array of chocolates all of which were good but we were clearly not ending on a high note. We ordered a couple of drinks more and a nice bottle of wine with the meal and ended the night just over $700 per person.I expected near flawless service and an evening of ever increasing sensory delight when you pay that kind of money, but instead we ended a bit flat and after 4 hours at Per Se went over to Porterhouse in the TWC to get a few sliders to tackle our hunger :)

1  Thank narmi1980
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I ate lunch there and took there extended tasting menu, which was 17 course of amazing dishes one after the other. The quality and work made on each dish were amazing and tasty. There Black Truffle Pasta is to die for. highly recommended but not cheap 550 before tax with service included

1  Thank Orenpeer