“2 Faux Pas 2 many..”
Review of Per Se

Per Se
Reserve with OpenTable
Per Se is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 13,678 Restaurants in New York City
Transit: 1,9,B,D,A,C to Columbus Circle
New York City, New York
“2 Faux Pas 2 many..”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I visited Per Se snagging a reservation after months of unsuccessful attempts. We managed to get a 5:30 reservation and when we were seated there were only 3 other tables that were occupied. I started with a gin and Per Se's house tonic made with their own quinine powder. It was the best G&T I have ever had!
The food service started with a gruyere cheese ball - excellent! Next was the salmon ice cream cone, where we had the nights first service faux pas. I preferred eating it with a fork, but one of their wait staff came over and said it was finger food so I should not eat with a fork....

Then came their signature dish - oysters and pearls. Every bit as good as reviewers have described!
Then followed halibut, lobster and duck. Each of which I can say in all seriousness was the best I have ever had and accomplished the goal of teasing your palate with sensational flavors leaving you wanting more..however the meal crested midway there. I ordered the lamb and my friend ordered the wagyu beef (which was a $100 supplement). However, they got us both lamb and when my friend said he had ordered beef the waiter who took our orders came around and said he thought he had heard "lamb" and did not apologize for his mistake. Yes they sound completely alike, dont they? That was the 2nd faux pas.
When the beef came it was smaller than a medallion, which was very disappointing given you were paying $100 extra, although the beef was excellent!
Then came the cheese (very good not out of the world) and then a chocolate dessert and finally an array of chocolates all of which were good but we were clearly not ending on a high note. We ordered a couple of drinks more and a nice bottle of wine with the meal and ended the night just over $700 per person.I expected near flawless service and an evening of ever increasing sensory delight when you pay that kind of money, but instead we ended a bit flat and after 4 hours at Per Se went over to Porterhouse in the TWC to get a few sliders to tackle our hunger :)

• Visited April 2013

• Polish first
Yehud, HaMerkaz, Israel
“Extended Tasting menu”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I ate lunch there and took there extended tasting menu, which was 17 course of amazing dishes one after the other. The quality and work made on each dish were amazing and tasty. There Black Truffle Pasta is to die for. highly recommended but not cheap 550 before tax with service included

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Orenpeer
Los Angeles, California
“Maybe 3 1/2”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Lovely views, tables far apart, excellent service. Noise level was low.

The 9 course tasting menu food is good but very rich --- lots of butter in the cooked oysters, lobster, and fish. The veal was cooked with bacon. Ice cream was very creamy and was followed by a small cheese course. Deserts were too much chocolate. I would have preferred something lighter.

Read the web site before you make your reservation. You have to order the tasting menu ($295/person) with virtually no choices. Eat in the salon if you want to order a la carte. The restaurant isn't stuffy but there's a modest dress code. To the dress code they should add no cell phones

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank marianneNyc
Toronto, Canada
“Disappointed again. Narcissistic Grandiose sense of self importance.”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The utter snobbery of the front of the house makes it difficult to get past the bad vibes and actually enjoy a meal. The obnoxious management from top to bottom needs urgent training in patron interaction.We have been here more than once and had hoped that there would be an improvement in attitude, but not so, per se.......

Visited May 2013
9 Thank twodocs555
Nashville, Tennessee
“A great splurge”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Service was impeccable, food was excellent. Nice view too! My daughter and I went for lunch on a beautiful August afternoon and enjoyed a nice meal together where we never felt rushed and could just sit and visit with one another.

Visited August 2013