“Tasty French Food near Lincoln Center” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Boite en Bois

La Boite en Bois
Reserve with OpenTable
La Boite en Bois is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,952 of 13,478 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Columbus Ave and Central Park West
Transit: Subway: 1,2,3,A,D
Mohegan Lake, New York
“Tasty French Food near Lincoln Center”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

I took my family to this French restaurant before a performance of the New York Philharmonic at Lincoln Center, and we all agree that the food was very tasty, the portions were a bit small, and the bill was a bit large.

This restaurant only serves a pre-theatre menu between 4:30 and 7:30 for $46 per person. It includes an appitizer, entree, and dessert. However, some of the choices like escargot and duck, both of which we had, came with additional $3 and $4 charges. That being said, my wife's salmon, my son's duck, and my seafood special were all prepared wonderfully and tasted delicious. The portions, however, were on the small side. Good thing, the unlimited pieces and crunchy and warm baguettes hit the spot.

What's the bottom line? The food is good, and that's a great start. The service was wonderful, and that makes it even better. The restaurant is small and cramped, so forget any private conversations, and the portions are a little on the small side. Final rating: 4 out of 5 stars. It's a good solid choice.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank stuartled

Holland, PA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Great Find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We were going to "The View" in the upper west side and were looking for a restaurant. I happened upon this restaurant on-line and the menu looked lovely. The prices are average for NY. What a pleasant surprise we had! It reminded me of a European restaurant. It was cozy and our service was very good. The menu was varied and the prices were reasonable by NY standards. My friends and I chose the fixed price menu. For $29.50 you got three courses: an appetizer, a main course, and dessert. The best part was that you selected from the regular menu and not a special menu. The portions were quite a nice size. We all got salads first and they were delicious. Three of us got seafood crepes for our main course and they were yummy. My friend, who only eats fish, said her salmon was outstanding! The dessert menu had about eight choices. I had crème brulee and it was fine. I would highly recommend this restaurant!.

1 Thank retiredgirl08
Keswick, United Kingdom
“C'est bon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

An affordable French bistro on the west side run by a French-trained Italian close to Lincoln Center. Excellent, fair-priced fare with hints of country cooking sprinkled throughout the menu. Pates mingle with raviolis. Wine selection a tad weak. Service was a bit haphazard and rushed at times but friendly and effective overall.

• Visited March 2013
Massapequa, New York
“Cozy Romantic Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I dined here with my special someone before catching an afternoon NY Philharmonic performance at Lincoln Center. He started us off with a nice bottle of Sterling Vineyards Pinot Noir; for appetizers he choose Pate Maison and Warm Garlic Sausage over Lentils to share. For entrees he selected their Omelette with Mushrooms and Goat Cheese while I chose Veal Cutlets Milanese topped with Tricolor Salad. For dessert I devoured the Assorted Fruit Sorbet. A cup of Cappuccino and a glass of Cognac completed a very good meal. The atmosphere was cozy and romantic. The restaurant is quite small but for lunch it wasn't packed so it was okay. The service was excellent and quick; the wait staff was European which is always nice to see in a European restaurant. I highly recommend this restaurant and will go back soon if I can!

1 Thank MaCherie908
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
“An excellent restaurant before going to Lincoln Center or any occasion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I love to go to this restaurant before going to Lincoln Center. The prix fixe meals are excellent - well prepared and with exemplary service by an attentive and professional staff.
Beyond the French country food that the chef prepares with flair and care, you can expect that the bar and wine selections are quite good for a small restaurant (I would be surprised if more the 40 people can fit into the dining room).
/from their prix fixe menu (this is the only choice if you are going to an event at Lincoln Center) e've had the duck, boeuf bourgignon, fish and veal and each has been an excellent choice. They also have daily specials that are worth considering.
One nice touch is that if you call to reserve (and I would strongly recommend this), you should expect a call to confirm. I realize it helps them ot avoid booking issues, but it is nice when the restaurant calls and tells you they look forware to your visit and they really mean it.