“Excellent, delicate food - great service !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Asiate

Asiate
Reserve with OpenTable
Asiate is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #205 of 13,478 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 60th Street between Broadway and 9th Avenue
Transit: 1, B, D, A and C Trains
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Excellent, delicate food - great service !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

We celebrated my boyfriend's birthday at Asiate a couple of weeks ago and we had an amazing time !
The restaurant is beautiful, the view is nice (even though I think it must be better during the day than at night).
The food was absolutely divine. The duck was the best duck I've ever eaten and the beef was also excellent. Our starters were great too (tartare and foie gras). Desserts were also extremeley good especially the lemongrass one. Only downside : our main dishes were served not warm enough. Service was quick and very nice. Would totally go there again!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“WE WALKED OUT!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

My wife and I were there this past Saturday evening for what was supposed to be a special evening.

Thought the place had a bit of an odd vibe when we entered -- something not quite right if you're looking to for a really good dining experience in Manhattan. The room has nice views over Central Park, but felt cold, and immediately the wait-staff seemed not quite ready for prime-time.

We opted for the $95 3-course prix fixe. To start, my wife had soba noodles and caviar ("buck wheat and eggs") that she said was ok, not great. I had a vegetable risotto that was very cheesy -- also ok, if you that's the way you like your risotto, but the flavor of the vegetables was overwhelmed by the cheese. This was only to foreshadow the culinary disaster that followed. My wife ordered "smoked" branzino, me, lamb.

My wife's dish appeared, under what I thought was an opaque plastic lid. When lifted, the stench of smoke that wafted under our nostrils was so overpowering, it was almost sickening. The "opaque" lid? It was actually the kind of plastic item you'd find for $5 at a TJ Maxx, but whose clarity had been obscured by the smoke.

My lamb? I had to double-check the menu to see if I'd missed something. I hadn't. The lamb itself was really quite good -- at least it would have been had the chef not decided to encrust it in mustard seeds that, again, completely overwhelmed any chance the subtle flavor of the meat to escape onto my palate. Initially, I thought perhaps it was me. I tried a second bite. No. I wasn't wrong The dish was inedible. And, inexplicably, there was no mention on the menu of the dish being prepared with the mustard crust.

I called over the waiter and explained the problem with the food, and the menu. He asked if we wanted to order anything else. I asked for the bill. No apology. No offer to comp anything.

The place was fairly busy with what appeared to be tourists. We are not -- we live here. The staff, among other things, clearly don't to build customer loyalty, probably believing the likelihood of repeat business is slim. But we also go to places frequented by tourists and have not encountered this problem before, with the exception of one place -- Benoit.

They are phoning it in at this place, believing the views relieve them of any duty to prepare and serve memorable food to match.

We immediately decided to go across the street to a place we go to often and at which we are never disappointed -- Nougatine, which we closed down!

So, take our advice. Don't bother wasting your time or your money here, unless you value a nice view over anything and everything else that should be part of any dining experience.

Like decent food and service.

2 Thank Howard L
Palm Desert, California
“Poor Service for Such an Expensive Restaurant”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

The food was very good to excellent but the service was the exact opposite -- intermittent and diffident when present. The captain taking our order couldn't explain what was in the few dishes on the menu (for example, "pickled walnuts are just walnuts"). Wine glasses stood empty until I twirled mine visibly. We were in a quiet side room, and ten or fifteen minutes would go by with no staff at all even glancing in to see if the patrons at the three tables needed anything. I'm all in favor of staff not bothering diners (I hate it when you're asked by four staff every five minutes, "Is everything OK?") but come on, at a minimum of $95 per person for the food, plus tax, plus tip, plus wine, a little quiet attention is required. We've eten at a few three star restaurants in France so are no strangers to $300-$400 dinners, but this place would struggle to get one star based on the service.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Arne_Werchick
Brussels, Belgium
“chique dining with view over central park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Very good gourmet restaurant for chique dining. Views are very nice. Dinner was very good, fine dining. Not cheap but value for money. we payed 165 $ pp. Very nice wine list, huge choice.
Friendly staf, recommended.

1 Thank Belgiantravellover
Washington, DC
“Beautiful Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

I had breakfast here on Sunday,4/6. This place is amazing. The view is amazing, the service is amazing, a truly five star experience from beginning to finish.