“You Need to Do Better in NYC....”
Review of Bice Ristorante - CLOSED

Bice Ristorante
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th & Madison Avenues
Transit: Trains: 6 train to 51st Street/Lexington Ave. E and M trains to 53 St.& Madison/ Fifth Avenues. Bus Stops: M1, M2, M3, M4 bus stops on 55th St or 52nd St. on Madison & 5th Avenues
Description: Bice Ristorante is centrally located in the heart of midtown Manhattan, walking distance to the best shopping in New York City, MOMA, Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Center and much more. Bice is the perfect venue for corporate functions, social gatherings, Broadway galas, fundraising events, weddings and holiday celebrations. Signature Dishes include homemade Tagliolini with Maine Lobster and wild mushrooms. Casoncelli Ravioli filled with veal and parma ham served with decadent black truffles and rosemary demi-glace, Risotto ai frutti di mare includes scallops, shrimp and lobster and Bice's Spaghetti Vongole Our Chef blends Northern Italian and American cuisine featuring organic products whenever possible. Bice Ristorante, the quintessential New York experience. Timeless Dining since 1926. Where it all began in Milan and continues to thrive Internationally.
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Was in NYC on business, took a client here as it was close. I ordered the house special Risotto of the day, (ala funghi) - a simple staple from Northern Italy, when done right, glorious. A good risotto dish is creamy with the risotto itself a texture similar to pasta. This dish was a pile of undercooked risotto, (some frankly still hard in the middle), surrounded by a moat of unabsorbed stock. The plate had clearly been microwaved judging by the feel and heat retained in it. The cherry on top - the parmasian sprinkled on it was mainly salty with little true flavor - it had the texture of Kraft's finest, almost like little ingots of sea salt. I did give it 2 stars based on the flavor - actually seasoned nicely as well as the italian mushrooms used appeared fresh and were flavorful.

To me, this restaurant was more about the vibe that the quality of the food. People who went there were known by the manager by name and there was some celebrity type table next to me being gushed over. It is a place to be seen and served more so than for an excellent meal, and I guess in NYC, there is some value to this. For me, I dine out to have something special, better than I can do myself....and for Italian food, in NYC, you have to be better than Bice is. I will definitely not revisit.

4  Thank ecseps

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I met my lawyer and we lunched at Bice, a typical New York Italian restaurant that has great atmosphere and attitude complimented by real Italian cuisine. The soup was traditional but great and the pasta just sublime. The service was efficient and entertaining and you get theatre as well as being looked after. Thank you Bice and you are now my number 1 NYC lunch spot.

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Have been a big fan of Bice for years and visited some of the other branches as well. However the last visit was a big disappointment. Service was bad (they forgot the starter from the order). The food was cold and average.

2  Thank Alejandro D
Reviewed February 11, 2013

what a horrible experience. 3 out of the 4 of us got food poisoning (2 kids, 1 adult). if that wasn't bad enough i contacted Bice so they would know and hopefully prevent any future cases. i received a curt response from peter,t he manger. Ater a number of emails back and forth he has to date - never even apologized. He also mis-characterized my prior emails. i was careful not to ask for a refund. i dont want their money. All i wanted was a sincere apology. Peter made a bad experience worse. Please do not frequent this establishment. They don't deserve your business.

6  Thank KBS33324
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Our party of six called ahead for reservations on a Saturday night. We were greeted warmly and taken to our table. The food was very delicious. We started out with a ravioli with mushroom sauce, which was excellent. The asparagus au gratin with parmesan was crispy and tasty. I ordered homemade spaghetti alla Bolognese and it was very rich and filling. Most of the party got filet mignon steaks and we all shared. The filet was tender and juicy. The atmosphere was excellent for conversation and the restaurant was not at all crowded. Service was very good and the servers were not intrusive. Deserts were delicious. When we left, it started snowing, which made a memorable ending to a fine evening.