“Azuri : Good Kosher”

Neighborhood: Midtown
New York, NY
“Azuri : Good Kosher”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I've read the reviews here and don't really understand why some are so negative. I tried several dishes from here, most were ok, but the baba ganoush was truly exceptional, it had a very nice complex flavor. The salads were also quite good and fresh and I felt good after eating the food here, it's not heavy or fatty, unlike many restaurants that try to make their food taste better by using butter and fats. While the atmosphere isn't fancy, who cares? I go to restaurants for the food. I'll definitely be returning for more.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Palatyne

• Korean first
El Cerrito, California
“Terrible in every way!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

I'm confused by the positive reviews here because the falafel is below average at best! and not worth the visit! The cramped location combined with the horrible service makes this one of the worst restaurants I've ever been to. My husband loves "hole-in-the-wall" restaurants so I came here with moderate expectations but with hopes that the good reviews I saw on this site and on Yelp would more than make up for the setting.

Terrible food, rude service and uncomfortable dining experience overall!

Visited February 2011
Singapore, Singapore
“Awesome Falafel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2011

This is absolutely the best falafel I have. I went with the Foot on food tour. A person said that she hate falafel but after trying the falafel, she love falafel! The ingredients are really fresh and the pita bread taste so food. Jacky, the boss shared with us that they always prepare the ingredients in the morning at 3 am. You can feel their dedication and love put into making the best falafel in New York City. New Yorkers are so lucky. It cost about $7 per falafel and the size is big for me.

• Visited November 2011
nyc
“beyond delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

Authentic, well priced and fresh!!! Atmosphere is below average but the food is beyond worth it!

Visited November 2011
Buffalo, New York
“Unbelievably yummy with good conversation with owner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

My daughter wanted a vegetarian restaurant, or at least a place that had options for several vegetarian options, and she found this small restaurant on Urban Spoon. It is a bit off the beaten path--on 51st street--but just a short walk from the subway. The daughter had falafel, I had a combination plate that I wasn't sure how to tackle--it came with pita bread--whole wheat--made fresh by the owner's wife every morning. Scrumptious--no meat to be found, but I didn't miss it, and I live on meat. The owner immigrated to the US and says when he started out in the restaurant business (decades ago?) he experimented with many recipes for falafel before coming up with the recipe he's had for many years. He was impressed that I had made it from scratch myself. We had a great conversation--which I wasn't expecting due to reviews comparing him to the Seinfeld soup nazi. He was he friendliest owner I have ever met. There is actually a photo of Jerry Seinfeld visiting the Azuri!! on the wall. While we were there, many people from their neighborhood stopped by to pick up take out orders and I realized it was also a Kosher restaurant. My meal was huge--we had a great health drink he recommended, and we had a great experience, too. This is a small cafe--but enough seating due to people coming in and taking their dinner to go. I will be going back next month--the owner is expecting me with my vegetarian friends. And I know I will enjoy it.

• Visited June 2011