“Unbelievably yummy with good conversation with owner”
Review of Azuri Cafe

Azuri Cafe
Ranked #2,742 of 14,591 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Delivery
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed July 9, 2011

My daughter wanted a vegetarian restaurant, or at least a place that had options for several vegetarian options, and she found this small restaurant on Urban Spoon. It is a bit off the beaten path--on 51st street--but just a short walk from the subway. The daughter had falafel, I had a combination plate that I wasn't sure how to tackle--it came with pita bread--whole wheat--made fresh by the owner's wife every morning. Scrumptious--no meat to be found, but I didn't miss it, and I live on meat. The owner immigrated to the US and says when he started out in the restaurant business (decades ago?) he experimented with many recipes for falafel before coming up with the recipe he's had for many years. He was impressed that I had made it from scratch myself. We had a great conversation--which I wasn't expecting due to reviews comparing him to the Seinfeld soup nazi. He was he friendliest owner I have ever met. There is actually a photo of Jerry Seinfeld visiting the Azuri!! on the wall. While we were there, many people from their neighborhood stopped by to pick up take out orders and I realized it was also a Kosher restaurant. My meal was huge--we had a great health drink he recommended, and we had a great experience, too. This is a small cafe--but enough seating due to people coming in and taking their dinner to go. I will be going back next month--the owner is expecting me with my vegetarian friends. And I know I will enjoy it.

Reviewed October 4, 2009

When I arrived this afternoon to meet my sister for brunch, I arrived before my sister. I asked if I could use the bathroom and explained I would be eating lunch there. The server asked me to wait and then the owner told me "No." After finding another bathroom in the area, I returned to meet my sister for lunch. Just as we were finishing, a couple came in and there was no where for them to sit. The owner turned to our table and said, "You can sit there. They have already been here 3 hours." We had not been there 3 hours (only 1). We continued to order items as we sat and both spent a total of $15.00. I think Falafel Nazi is the correct name for this owner. The food was very good but who needs to be denied bathroom and respect during a Sunday brunch? My opinion is, try another restaurant as the food is not worth the rudeness.

Reviewed November 3, 2008

Agree with review below. What a complete dump- actually ruined my day after I went there. We were spoken to so rudley and the food was stale and practically thrown at us in an arrogant manner. Complete waste of 40 dollars. I can't believe this is Zagat rated - maybe standards have gone down over the years. It was unclean, unappetising, stale and served by the most miserable people who were rude, unfriendly and constantly muttering under their breath every time we asked for basic things like a spoon or serviette! even if the meal cost 5 dollars it is not worth it unless you want to feel sick. Nothing authentic about this place. When the taxi driver overheard us complaining about this in the taxi afterwards he said "its awful why would you go there?" - i myself was wondering the same thing.

Reviewed October 30, 2008

DO NOT GO HERE! The food tastes ok but it made me feel sick for days afterwards, it was not clean, not fresh, the place was disgustingly dirty, and it is not charming or funny to be as rude and unpleasant as the owner is. I have read numerous good reviews about this place and I can only imagine they must be from the owner's family or friends. This "restaurant" (if you can call it that - it's more like a dirty hole in the wall) prides itself on serving good quality authentic food and in its own words on its menu, it is small exactly like Israel as it represents true Israeli food. That is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard. Having visited Israel numerous times and eaten good quality, decent Israeli food in London, I can safely say that Azuris does not live up to its reputation of self-promoted hype. After serving us food that made us sick in a place that was run-down, the owner had the nerve to charge us for food that he had served us with a hair in it! The falafel had a hair in it and we sent it back and he still charged us! I cannot rant and rave enough about this place - please do not go there if you would rather not feel like vomiting.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Sandwich they served here was great. I would take out because the decoration was very shabby. Nevertheless, yummy sandwich!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook