“I was not impressed but it was good”

Topaz Thai Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Topaz Thai Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #515 of 14,396 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood, Thai
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We did not reserve but were lucky to find a spot as this restaurant was full.
The food was good but one of the dishes seemed to be over cooked (ready in advance and re heated)
It was a good experience but not a wow.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Located a short distance from the Theater District, we walked to Topaz Thai after The Book of Mormon, about 9:30. We had an appetizer of their Winter Shrimp, a spicy appetizer we loved and recommend without reservation. My wife ordered the yellow curry with chicken and I ordered the green curry. We love Thai curry and prepare it at home. This is some of the best we have eaten. You have a choice of white or brown rice. With 4 glasses of wine, one soup, the shrimp appetizer and the two curry dishes the bill was $62.00, we were full and happy. This restaurant is very clean and comfortable, but it is small and we were eating late on a Sunday night. If you are planning to eat here later in the week, I would recommend reservations. The kitchen closes about 10:30 so eating here after theater is very plausible. We would definitely return and the service was prompt and courteous.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

My partner and I ate here in early April between shopping on 5th Avenue and heading back to 42nd Street to catch a Broadway show. A family member recommended this place and gave us a heads up that the place is small and gets crowded quick. Topaz Thai accepts reservations up to 1 week in advance – so if you are going to be in this area and you want to eat here, I would make reservation so you don’t have to wait. We did and we did not wait at all.

So the place is small, dark, and a bit cramped – that is part of the charm I think. The waiters / food runners here were all young Thai boys who were very friendly and nice but they don’t mess around when it comes to running this joint! We did order a few mixed drinks before dinner and they were just OK. The drinks did take a while and where nothing special. I would say you could skip the adult beverages here and just focus on the food.

Now to the food... We ordered Steamed Bangk Dumplings for an appetizer. These were delicious! Would totally recommend these – we got one order but could have downed 2 orders no problem (there are 4 dumplings to an order). For our meal, I got Bangkok Fried Rice with Chicken and my partner got the Drunken Noodle with Beef. Both were outstanding and full of flavor. Actually they both were the best we have had period when it comes to these two specific dishes! Seriously, we loved everything (food-wise) we had here! And to top it off, it was the cheapest dinner we had our entire trip! Great food for cheap – what is not to like?

We are so glad we took the recommendation and had thought about trying to head back there on our trip. But with so many places in NYC, we had to try other new places. But we both agree – next time we are in the city, we are going back to Topaz Thai. There is nothing like it in St. Louis!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were going to have lunch at the Burger Joint, but It was so full of people, that the line to get in was at least 20 meters long.

Very hungry, we went out in search of any place when we found this restaurant.

The place is small but very cozy, and best of all, the food was COMPLETELY PERFECT

Every flavor was in perfect armony and there was no need of putting anything else into our dishes (no salt, no pepper, no hot sauce, no nothing).

Everything we ordered was perfectly cooked and served

If you go there you're not gonna regret! (we had the Dancing Chicken and the Fancy Noodles, both perfect!)

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We went to NYC in December, and were lucky enough to get a place in this lovely tasting restaurant, my brother said he had the best noodles in his life there (drunken noodles). All in all very pleasant experience. If I was to criticize the restaurant, I was criticize how you cannot book, you just have to turn up and hope there's a place for you.

1  Thank Thomas F