“One of my favorite lunch spots to feel special...”
Review of Caviar Russe

Caviar Russe
Reserve with OpenTable
Caviar Russe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,233 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 54 STREET
Transit: E, F trains to 5th avenue, Madison buses.
New York City, New York
“One of my favorite lunch spots to feel special...”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Came here today for a late lunch with my boyfriend and it was lovely. Even though the main fare is caviar & champagne, I appreciated that the waiters (who were all excellent and attentive) did not try to push more expensive choices but were simply very helpful and courteous. I liked the coziness of the booths. The food was superb. We will be coming here more often, for sure.

Update: Have gone several times since and the service and food are always outstanding. The waiters here could not be more attentive or professional!

Visited December 2011
1 Thank MelisaSingh

West Springfield, Masssachusetts
“Excellent”
Reviewed December 20, 2009

My boyfriend and I visited this restaurant on Saturday 12/19/09 at 5:15 p.m with no reservation. The atmosphere was very intimate. Beautiful crown molding and exquisite chandeliers decorated the room. The servers were very attentive to every need. It was was a bit pricey, our bill came out to $108 which included two glasses of wine, soup, appetizer, two sushi rolls and one entree on filet mignon. Food was phenomenal!

Great experience. I would definitely recommend this to any couple seeking a romantic dinner or any tourists such as myself seeking something different and yet elegant.

1 Thank Luckygir15
ny
“Very disappointed with the food.”
Reviewed December 10, 2007

Very disappointed with the food.

Cary, NC
“Good, but not as crazy great as it needs to be”
Reviewed June 23, 2007

We ate at Caviar Russe on Sunday, June 24, 2007. I had made reservations online, which goes through the consolidator [--]. I got a reservation for two at 6pm. When we got there a few minutes late (you buzz at the door at street level and then climb a steep marble staircase to the restaurant) the waiter smiled and politely asked if we had a reservation. We said yes and he guided us to a table, then informed us that the kitchen closed down at 6:00, but he'd ask the chef if he was willing to stay open to cook our meal. I was greatly confused, as I had never heard of a fine dining establishment in New York staying open just until 6pm and wondering why they were accepting reservations for closing time. I don't like to put the waiter, chef, and bus staff on overtime and I apologized and offered to go elsewhere. They were all smiles and insisted it was no problem and they'd be happy to serve us. And indeed, we never felt rushed or felt any negative vibe while we were there. Still, I was embarrassed and we ate a bit more quickly than we might have otherwise. I rechecked afterwards on OpenTable, and sure enough, it accepts Sunday reservations at 6pm.

The decor is pleasant, with white tablecloths and brown fabric booth seating next to closely-spaced tables. White columns and trimwork frame somewhat gaudy faux old-French wall murals and lead up to a royal blue ceiling with blown glass spheres hanging down from the light fixtures. There is a full-length window overlooking Madison Avenue.

We started with the chef's choice selection of caviars. For $175 you get six pearl spoons (very slightly larger than, but close to the size of Baskin Robbins tasting spoons) each heaped with a different type of caviar. The caviars ranged from top quality beluga (you can still get that?!?) to a slushy American sturgeon (yuck). Accompaniments were the usual toast points (not enough, also as usual) and excellent crepes for blinis, along with thinly sliced fingerling potatoes (unnecessary in my book), a good thick creme fraiche, and tiny chopped chives. The beluga and the golden osetra were the winners.

We saved time by skipping other appetizers and going straight for the main meal. She had roasted quail breast on polenta, served with strips of fennel and paper thin cherry tomato slices. The bird was delectable... absolutely perfect. The polenta was uninspiring but inoffensive.

I had artichoke and black olive raviolis, which came in a buttery sweet sauce that masked the flavor of the filling. The pasta itself seemed dense and "slimy" rather than imparting the flavor of the grain and having the desired al dente firmness.

We finished with a pair of desserts. For her, a "malted coffee cake served with espresso ice cream and dark/white chocolate." For me, a classic creme brulee.

The coffee cake was seriously disappointing. It was chewy and gooey like a bread pudding, without a clear direction on the flavors. My creme brulee had the right texture and a perfectly done hardened sugar topping, but I had specifically asked the waiter if it was flavored or a simple vanilla. He assured me it was just vanilla. When we tried it, we both instantly picked up on another flavor... something floral like lavender.

I enjoyed the opportunity to try a flight of three ultra-premium vodkas for $25. They were properly chilled and served in good sized stemmed vodka glasses. My favorite turned out to be the Stoli Elite.

We were the only ones in the restaurant, so service attention was undivided and dishes emerged quickly, as expected. Service was exemplary, pleasant, and polite.

All in all, a very nice dining experience (although a little weird as the only customers), but not a standout that made it worth the ultra-premium cash outlay.

And in case something weird like this ever happens to you, remember... the staff deserves more than the usual tip for taking care of you when they should be cleaning up and going home! :)

One final note, the map on [--] for the restaurant isn't even close! Don't use it as a reference like I did. You'll walk far out of your way.

1 Thank klmonline