“Good Food, but doesn't match the price tag”
Review of Oceana Restaurant

Oceana Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Oceana Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #185 of 14,308 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th
Transit: Public transit stops; B,D,D,V: 47th-50th/Rockefeller Center; N,R,W: 49th Street 1: 50th Street
Description: Under the guidance of the Livanos family and Co-Owner Paul McLaughlin, Oceana has provided New Yorkers with an exceptional seafood destination since 1992. Oceana's a la carte menu, coupled with its convenient Midtown/Theater District location, make it a perfect spot for a quick business lunch or pre-theater dinner. From the spectacular marble bar to the fresh lobsters and whole fish cooked to order, as well as a significant selection of prime meats, the team delivers a fresh, innovative and approachable menu. Oceana has a 70 seat Cafe with a 18 seat marble bar. Great for lunch, after work cocktails & snacks, pre-theater dinner and post-theater desserts. An award winning international wine list with some 800 selections. Spring and Summer bring a 75 seat outdoor dining area, private dining options include our Chef's table for 4-5 to our Grand Salon for 80.
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We had lobster, shrimp, and halibut, no sides, bread, crab cakes, and 1 glass of wine, and a coke. The bill was $200. It was very good, but nothing to rave about. The servers seemed untrained. We actually had to ask twice for napkins and silverware after our food arrived.
I do have to say that the lobster was very fresh, right out of the tank. It was cooked just right and nicely pure cracked for easy access to the meat.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

We arrived around 6:00 on a weekday and the bar was loud and busy. We were very glad to discover that the restaurant located around the wall where the bar is was much quieter and calmer. The service was efficient and accommodating for our food restrictions (the waiter wrote them down and a manager came to confirm). We started with the roasted carrot and apple salad - very tasty and well executed with crispy quinoa and almonds. We also tried the sunchoke risotto - the risotto was properly cooked and it was served in a veal stock broth which worked well. They offer composed fish preparations as well as whole fish prepared a variety of ways - we went with their special dishes. The Pecan Crusted Red Snapper and Taro Wrapped Dorade were both excellent. They had several desserts but we opted for just the cookie plate. The noise level did increase as the dinner hour moved on - even though they are close to the Theater District we had the impression that many were not going to the theater. The only downside was that the waiter after being super attentive and accommodating throughout our meal was not to be found when we wanted the check and eventually we flagged down someone else who had us our check and out the door in three minutes.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I ate here for the first time last night. We were greeted nicely and shown to a nice table. The sommalier came over and bruskly asked me what kind of wine I wanted...almost seemed like he had something better to do. When we got to the second bottle he brought it to me to taste and I jokingly said, "it's terrible," to which he replied, "I already tried it and it's fine." Then we move on to the waitress who seemed put upon when we asked for another minute to decide. After we ordered and the food came never came back to check that everything was satisfactory. OK, the food was delicious...just wish that the service matched!

Reviewed March 20, 2014

We had heard great things and were expecting that. If we had been in Podunk I might not be so critical. But for a highly rated seafood restaurant in the Big Apple we were expecting more. I had seared tuna with herb mushrooms. The tuna was decent quality but didn't have much flavor. I had a very similar dish in Durango, CO last month. It cost 1/3 as much and was much more tasty. The mushrooms were also bland. Service was okay, but nothing special.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Last night in NYC for this trip, so we wanted to celebrate. Concierge suggested Oceana so we could dress up a bit. We started off with two appetizers, crab cakes and a custom selection from the chill/raw bar. Crab cakes were the best ever. Better than the ones we had at "21" earlier in the week. I had a combo of raw oysters, littleneck clams, whelks and periwinkles. First, periwinkles are small snails and require a tool to work the meat out of the spiral shell. The "toothpick" they provided was too big for the job. As a result, we were able to coax meat out of about 1/3rd of the shells, even after they brought a second order. And it wasn't just me, the waiter tried and was even less successful. However, we did end up with a new food story, so not all bad. For entrees we had General Tsao's Lobster and Blackened Tilefish. The lobster was exactly what it sounds like and there had to be an entire lobster in the dish. Loved that we tried it, but lobster needs a more delicate touch for me. The tilefish was some of the best fish I have ever eaten, and I have had fish all over the world. It is blackened because that is the seasoning, but it was cooked golden brown. We let the sommelier suggest a wine and he hit it out of the park. Selected a 2009 Chateauneuf du Pape, Vieux Telegraphe. Without the wine, the tab was around $200. Very nice atmosphere and great service, but don't be in a hurry.