“Only if you like oysters” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oceana Restaurant

Oceana Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Oceana Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #188 of 13,479 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th
Transit: Public transit stops; B,D,D,V: 47th-50th/Rockefeller Center; N,R,W: 49th Street 1: 50th Street
Description: Under the guidance of the Livanos family and Co-Owner Paul McLaughlin, Oceana has provided New Yorkers with an exceptional seafood destination since 1992. Oceana's a la carte menu, coupled with its convenient Midtown/Theater District location, make it a perfect spot for a quick business lunch or pre-theater dinner. From the spectacular marble bar to the fresh lobsters and whole fish cooked to order, as well as a significant selection of prime meats, the team delivers a fresh, innovative and approachable menu. Oceana has a 70 seat Cafe with a 18 seat marble bar. Great for lunch, after work cocktails & snacks, pre-theater dinner and post-theater desserts. An award winning international wine list with some 800 selections. Spring and Summer bring a 75 seat outdoor dining area, private dining options include our Chef's table for 4-5 to our Grand Salon for 80.
Glenbrook, Nevada
“Only if you like oysters”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife is an oyster nut and loves this place. We've been to many of the Manhattan seafood places and keep coming back here. There are normally at least four different oysters on the menu and the staff are very helpful in describing each. But my wife normally gets one of each on the first round then a dozen more of the ones she likes best. The waitstaff are well informed about the menu.

The only draw back is you either all need to like seafood, or somebody better be prepared to sacrifice. The none fish menu is sparse and is average at best. The sides are intended for seafood and just don't fit the meat selections. Its a terrible place for kids as the menu seems very rigid and not much selection for a 10 yo picky eater. Much better for couples. Desserts are varied. There is a fruit soup which is very good but the rest are uninspired. Eat here and grab a dessert someplace else.

The decor is fresh and modern. I would not call it romantic as most people seem to be having a business dinner. In the summer they will open a patio which is great for people watching.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

• Korean first
Sedona, Arizona
“Feast for King Neptune”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Oceana is a seafood palace, not just a restaurant. It has the most room between tables of any restaurant I have seen in NYC. The spaciousness and comfort simply washes over one from the time you walk through the door.

I had the pineapple margarita (think out of the box here) that was simultaneously slightly sweet, slightly citrus, and not even noticeably alcoholic. I opted for a second which I found perfect for my dinner.

There are many offerings and ways to go there. There was a fixe price theater menu (which my wife and I picked) with individual choices for the appetizer, entrée and dessert. There were also many appetizers to choose a la carte, special preparations, and an extensive choice of fresh grilled fish with a choice of four sauces (or all four) on the side. Our server had extensive knowledge of each dish and was a great help in making our selections.

We started with a chilled seafood tower of fresh shell fish, including large prawns, oysters, clams, greenlip mussels, and peri-winkles. The single tower for one was more than adequate for the two of us to share.

My wife had four additional oysters for her appetizer and I had what was clearly the best hamachi sashimi of my life. The thin slices for the yellow fin were dressed in a sauce that was simply sublime. My wife's oysters were each perfect.

Our main course was broiled salmon for her and Mahi-mahi for me. The preparation was flawless, cooked to perfection with no loss of moistness. We each enjoyed sampling the sauces that were provided, and the escarole and stewed plantain accompaniments.

The chocolate mousse and a passion fruit concoction completed the meal. I should also mention the amuze-bouche cucumber soup and final chocolate truffle.

Finally, I have to say the Oceana must have the largest, cleanest restrooms in the restaurant industry in New York. After wedging my way into some dingy basements elsewhere this simply added to the positive view I have about Oceana. By the way, if one steps to the end of the hall past the framed reviews and awards, the spacious kitchen is clearly visible. No yelling and frantic preparation here--it was more like a NASA control room only with walls of ranges, pots and pans.

The wine list was extensive but looked expensive. Wines by the glass were about $12 and the same for the signature cocktails. Sign me up for a return visit.

Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
“Very Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I am a regular diner at restaurants in the Midtown and Financial areas of New York. Tonight 4/19/13 was my first visit to Oceana. I was looking forward to a memorable dining experience with 2 guests. The unanimous decision was that we will not be back. The decor is excellent and the acoustics in the dining room allow quiet conversation. The service is at best poor with poorly trained waiters unwilling to even attempt to make minor changes with the order. The service was very slow and unattentive. The food (cod) was served in a pool of unappetizing liquid. We were told that the chef would not entertain any changes. I regret my choice and wish I had gone with my favorite restaurant next door, DelFriscos. Oceana needs to get their act together or they will not survive the demanding and sophisticated New York market.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank fshea
NYC
“Very solid business dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Great environment, good food, great service staff. Fun environment. Great for business dinner or lunch. Quite pricey, but that is not a surprise. Good for business expense meals.

Visited April 2013
Milan, Italy
“Some disappointments”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was there for a business dinner and I will not go back for a dinner with friends or my husband.
The appetisers were ok, I enjoyed very much the fried squids, but the main course was really disappointing.
I chose a fish cooked in an Asian style , could have been a Thai receipt, it looked good, but it had not taste at all.
The other thing that I disliked was the restaurant temperature: it was freezing.
Based on my experience, I will not suggest this restaurant.

• Visited December 2012