“Authentic Japanese foods”
Review of Hakubai

Hakubai
Reserve with OpenTable
Hakubai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,048 of 14,216 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 38th
Transit: 4,5,6,7,S at Grand Central - 42nd St.
Description: Executive Chef Yukihiro Sato offers his guests a unique opportunity to share in the celebrated culinary tradition known as Kaiseki cuisine. Chef Sato's interpretation of the authentic Japanese cuisine focuses on incorporating the best seasonal ingredients to create unique fare that is pleasing to the eye and palate.
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I always visit this restaurant when I come to New York as I can expect very stable and good taste of Japanese food. Lunch is also enjoyable

Reviewed July 7, 2012

I don't think I would have chosen this restaurant on my own, because I'm not very familiar with Japanese food. So I was incredibly lucky that my brother and sister-in-law brought me here. It was a terrific dining adventure. We tried so many dishes that I can't even remember them individually, but they were all very good. I'm so glad we went. I would highly recommend it.

Reviewed August 17, 2011

We celebrated my birthday here with another couple as each of us had a Travel Zoo coupon. Each couple was entitled to 3 appetizers, 2: main courses, desserts and drinks. The physical surroundings were unremarkable- no linen tablecloth but cloth napkins. Food was served on a pretty plastic round tray. There was a lack of decorations – but traditional Japanese paper wall dividers in a minimalist style. Service was top notch and appropriately responsive. We had sake (both a hot and cold) and beer for our beverages – all good tasting. Our appetizers included tuna, duck, edamame (not a smart choice as cheapest appetizer at $6) and pork. Small portions but delicious. Our main courses included sushi ($40 without coupon) and one filet mignon. Again, smaller portions but each serving was tasty. Desserts varied from red beans on ice cream to tea and coffee creams. Not as impressive as the rest of the meal. In all we had a lovely time – were able to relax and enjoy good food with excellent service. In the end, the cost without the coupon is unreasonable. But thank goodness we had two.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 2, 2008

formal but excellent

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 5, 2007

High class Japanese food along the lines of kaiseki cuisine. Absolutely elegant, recommend for special occasion dining. Rumor has it this is one of Hideki Matsui's favorites in Manhattan.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook