“Great Roman food”
Review of I Trulli

I Trulli
Reserve with OpenTable
I Trulli is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,885 of 14,202 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Lexington and Park Avenues
Transit: Number 6 train to 28th Street and Park Ave. South
Description: Opened in 1994, Nicola Marzovilla's warm and welcoming restaurant has been a favorite for 15 years for those in search of hearty, delicious Italian specialties. Chef Patti Jackson's celebrated menu draws on the regional cuisine of the Marzovillas' homeland, Puglia. Nicola's mother, Dora, prepares hand-rolled fresh pastas daily. The restaurant is famed for its all-Italian wine list (expertly selected by Marzovilla), and the adjoining Enoteca offers lighter food and by-the-glass choices. I Trulli is a popular destination all-year round: diners can sit by the glow of the main room's rustic fireplace in winter, while in the warmer months are treated to the lush splendor of one of Manhattan's finest outdoor garden spaces.
Reviewed October 22, 2013

While it pales in comparison to Rome, it is a step above your average NY Italian. Sit in the back garden, its weatherized for year round.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

15 years ago i lived in the city was a regular at this wonderful place. Last night i returned after many years to yet another outstanding meal. I love its rustic quality - authentic regional food, earthy, not effete. The excellent wine list has an outstanding selection of southern italian reds (in addition to, of course, the expected Barolos and Brunellos). I ate wonderful sardines, and an interesting chick pea fritter with mozzarella (artistically presented). It is a bussling place - one is politely and efficiently served, not fawned over. A great place to enjoy a relaxing and affordable (by NY standards) meal. 5 Stars!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I reviewed this restaurant in August of last year, voting it the best of all we had tried during our New York holiday. Later I invited a guest for dinner and chose I Trulli again. Intended to write a review but forgot. But I can now report that it was an excellent meal in their lovely back garden. Had a nice chat with the proprietor - gave me a chance to practise my Italian! Can't remember all the details now, but I do remember we ordered wines by the glass so that we could experiment with a few. The Negroamaro was out of this world.
So much for last year. During this year's holiday my partner and I were in the neighbourhood after a theatre show and decided to try the I Trulli Enoteca. Helpful bartender/waitress guided us through various antipasti and charcuterie. We each went for a different flight of red wines - a great way of trying different wines, comparing, analysing, but above all enjoying. The kind of meal we had depended solely on the ingredients, as cooking wasn't involved. Without exception, everything we had was top class, the olives in particular being exquisite. The only drawback was that our waitress left early but kindly introduced us to Joe, who would be looking after us. Well, Joe, you'll have to put a little bit of effort into your job; you seemed to be in another world. We were waiting for an age for our second "flights" to arrive, when - lo and behold, Benjamin (our waiter from the previous year) came in from the main restaurant, sorted things out and had a lovely chat with us. Writing reviews regularly for TA clarifies things and makes me more aware of just how much good service means. So, thanks again to Benjamin for helping to make our visit to I Trulli memorable.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We went with a large family group assembled for a wedding the next day. We had asked the concierge for a restaurant that would accomodate us and which would not be too loud so that we could all visit with each other, and this fit the bill perfectly. The service was attentive, they recommended a multi-item antipasti for the table for the group, and the food was fine. With a house wine and some shared desserts, came out to about $80 a head total.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Extremely overpriced for the food you get. Steak was burnt and had to be sent back twice! Staff need to learn how to be more humble and welcoming. Not a comfortable restaurant at all. Atmosphere was terrible. For a Saturday night in NYC, most of the restaurant was empty. Says a lot for NYC in the summertime! Would never go back and would never recommend to anyone.

1  Thank Sarah J