“Great Surprise!”

Osteria Laguna Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Osteria Laguna Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,104 of 14,468 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Avenues
Transit: The 4, 5, 6, 7 & S Subways to 42nd Street/Grand Central.
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We had gone to a taping of Jimmy Fallon on Thursday and because it got out at 715 and we still needed to go back to the hotel and get ready to go out for dinner we were looking for somewhere close (we were staying at the Westin across the street). We had seen the restaurant the night before but had other plans so did not go in, but thought I looked nice. We arrived at 9 pm and were greeted pleasantly and walked to a nice little table. The restaurant is not all that big but the atmosphere was really nice. Our waiter came over and was one of the nicest people we had ever met, by the end of the meal he was telling us which bars to check out the next night etc. He was very knowledgeable. We had the calamari and mushroom bruschetta appetizers (which were called something much sexier and Italian but I’ll spare you me trying to type the proper name). we got a nice bottle of Chianti (the wines were reasonably priced). The restaurant brings some bread to the table with olive oil as well. We then split the Caesar salad which was probably my least favorite thing that we got. There was nothing wrong with it but it wasn’t amazing. I had the mushroom risotto and my husband had the ricotta ravioli pomodoro, both were quite good. All in all I would recommend trying this place out. I think you’ll enjoy it.

1  Thank Aerogirl1350

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Visited this restaurant for the second time on a weekend break to New York. Made the reservation based on our experience two years ago and I was not disappointed. This is interesting and tasty Italian food with lots of fresh ingredients and plenty of choices for Vegetarians. The restaurant should leverage this great choice of Vegetarian options as it may be overlooked on this point. There was a great selection of appetizer salads and perfectly cooked pasta dishes as well as great Wood Fired Pizzas. Nice to have such a pleasant second experience.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Our family dined here towards the end of our recent NYC visit. It was my Wife's Birthday, so we wanted something half way decent. Our Daughter was not available until 9:30PM, and this restaurant was located close to our Son's apartment. So we made a reservation for 9:30PM.

We were seated right away with a great bread basket & menus. To start, we ordered the Imported buffalo mozzarella, vine tomatoes & basil with extra virgin olive oil. It was served with only 3 servings when there were 4 of us. Why didn't the waiter state it had only 3 servings as I would have ordered two orders? Every other restaurant we dined at always had 4 servings-4 slices of tomato with cheese. Ok, it was our job to ask about every little thing!

For me, the menu is somewhat limited but there were a few things that were ok. I thought of ordering the GNOCCHI AL PESTO but with a meat sauce, not the pesto. Surely they would be able to do that! But I was wrong as the sauce would contain carrots, celery etc.---not something very special to me! I settled for the Penne pasta with tomato sauce & mozzarella cheese--just ok.

It was served on a cold plate that robbed the hot food of its heat. Why do I always expect the best? Because that's the way I serve our guests and family! Serving your meal on a hot plate ensures that the meal will remain hot until the last bite. But what do I know! The best thing about the meal was the bread basket!

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I recently went to Osteria Laguna (4/25/13) with my boss and several other coworkers in my department for a working lunch meeting. There were 9 of us and we spent around $370. The food tasted good, but it was nothing to write home about. Just on the food and atmosphere alone, this restaurant would have rated at least average. However, given all the other complaints, I wouldn't have given this restaurant even 1 star. To begin with, their reception/greeters didn't know how to handle a reservation. I personally called the restaurant and setup a reservation for 8 people. Now mind you, our group ended up with an extra person tagging along, so it was interesting how they handled the change. Once we arrived, they had our table waiting for us. We informed the waitress we would have an additional person, so she called over 'the manager' because she wasn't sure how to handle the situation. One of the greeters came over and presented herself as the manager. While listening to our request to add another table or perhaps move us to another table, she just kept laughing and looking around nervously. I suspected she was just making sure the actual manager was not within earshot of what she was doing. She seemed more concerned with pretending like nothing was wrong than actually listening to our problem. After several minutes of talking to her back (she never gave us the courtesy of speaking to us eye-to-eye) my boss, a VP, apologized for inconveniencing her and began to ask if there was someone else he could speak with. As soon as he mentioned speaking to someone else, she looked him in the face and remarks "Don't feel sorry for me, I feel sorry for you since you didn't make the correct reservation." She then began to pass the blame and say, "Your assistant never called to confirm the reservation." Since when do the customers call the restaurants to confirm the reservation? Isn't it the other way around? If you make a reservation, then the restaurant should keep the reservation. From that point on, then entire visit went downhill quickly. 'The manager' couldn't even come up with the simplest solution to the problem. One of the other waiters had to suggest simply adding a chair to the table. The managers reply to the waiter was "Yeah, you could do that if you want" then she walks away. Our team did a little seat shuffling to accommodate everyone and we continued on with the meal. The rest of the meal would have been non-eventful if it wasn't for the fact that our waitress didn't really understand how to tactfully insert herself into the conversation to request starters, drinks, etc. Normally, the waiter will at least wait until you pause or finish your sentence, before they begin speaking. She interrupts the VP when he is in the middle of giving a toast to one of our departing members. On a second occasion, he is mid sentence when she comes and set a large display platter of desserts, RIGHT ON HIS HAND, and then asks if he is interested in trying anything. The meal continues, and they forget to bring some items, and then make excuses as to why the items didn't show. The whole production was just a big MESS. I have always given Osteria Laguna high marks on simply the ambience and first impression you get walking by the restaurant. Having actually gone in and had a meal, I can honestly say that no matter how good the ravioli is, the overpowering bad taste and manners of the wait staff will make any meal there unpalatable.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

From the moment we walked in to this beautiful restaurant it was all good. The ambiance, food and service was all fantastic! Great selection of dishes on the menu. My daughter had a lamb shank that almost covered the whole plate. Location was good for us being 2 blocks east of Grand Central.