“Delicious”

Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

I was amazed when I found out about this vegetarian Korean restaurant. Made my reservation online and they actually made a long distance call to confirm my reservation.

Food was great! I had avocado bibimbap and some appetizer. I'll definitely go back when I'm in NYC again!

There are newer reviews for Hangawi

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We came here suggested by a friend and we have been very happy.
Atmosphere look nice, good for dinner with frined, good for a date.
Service is gentle and prompt.
Menu has a wide variety of choices (al vegetarian).
By the end of the dinner we have spent a very nice time, with very good food.

Price looks a bit high but still higly reccomended.

Remember that, as usual in the authnetics korean stile, you have to wear off your shoes.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Fantastic atmosphere, very relaxing...
You take your shoes off once you get there, you sit on cushions , you have candlelight and relaxing music.
The food is vegan , really tasty ,especially the Korean pancakes and the spicy rice cake .
We enjoyed the tea at the end!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

My daughter researched the place for a new vegetarian cuisine to try for her birthday celebration. The restaurant is conveniently located near Empire state for getting there by car, and garages nearby to park. As we entered the restaurant on a cold winter Sunday evening, we were pleasantly greeted by the Maitre d'. We were asked to take off our shoes and walk over to our table, which is essentially like sitting on the floor with our feet placed into the pit under the table. The floor of the pit was nice and warm to make us comfortable. We already knew the kind of experience we are in for. Though the restaurant is long and narrow, it more than makes up for their service, ambiance, and the food! We ordered ginger tea, which was amazingly aromatic and nothing like what we had before. Unlike any other restaurant we have been to, there are so many wonderful appetizers and entrees to chose from. For appetizers we ordered spicy kimchi
mushroom pancakes, and vegetarian dumplings. They were presented well, were tasty and mildly spicy. For entree, we ordered avocado stone bowl rice, organic brown rice stone bowl, bean curd with kimchi and vegetables in spicy sauce. They were all prepared well, presented elegantly, and tasted just superb. Hangawi is one of the best restaurants we ever ate at.

Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

I luv this restaurant & eat here often. It's not only one of the best Korean restaurants i've ever visited, it's one of the best restaurants PERIOD. Yes it's a strictly vegetarian restaurant, but I've taken many carnivores here, & no one has ever complained. It's a pricey place but worth it, & keep an eye out for their Special Discounts during NY Restaurant Week every summer (don't recall exact dates but that info can be found online). Hangawi has regular American-style seating as well as traditional Korean-style seating on the floor, but either way, you'll be required to remove your shoes, so wear clean socks. The food is really wonderful ... some of the most unusual you'll ever taste anywhere.