“Please leave your shoes at the door.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hangawi
Ranked #294 of 13,489 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Asian, Korean
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Midtown
Annapolis, Maryland, United States
“Please leave your shoes at the door.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I was in love the moment they asked me to leave my shoes at the door. Why not? Bare feet after all is not the norm. It is intimate, it is for some with ugly feet too much to bare. Not I, I like my feet, and my freshly painted toes made me especially proud on this cold wet February night! Then to be reassured that my feet would feel cozy, the floor below was heated. My feet where in heaven.

Ok, what about the food you say? All vegetables for dinner is a treat to some. Ones taste buds are delighted when a hint of cinnamon meets a shiitake mushroom, "WOW"! The rice bowl was hearty and filled you appetite more then you would expect. For dessert we tried the chocolate covered marshmallows made of soy with chocolate rice pudding, heaven. I have a meat lover for a husband and tonight's dinner was all about me and my BFF. We could eat vegetables korean style and reveled in our choice...albeit Gwyneth Paltrow's blog, "goop" hedged out bets. We found her recommendation prefect! The staff was polite, knowledgeable and the soft pitter patter of their shoeless feet was zen. Thank you for an amazing treat. We will be back.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Las Vegas, Nevada
“An Oasis environment for vegetarians, albeit for small portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Distinctive and intimate environment to dine in. Making reservations in advance is key

The Korean food is vegetarian, which completely matches my diet. Just as important, the Korean tastes good. I have been twice, and have ordered to avocado stone pot bimbimpab and the tofu sundupu (soup).

The only knock is that portions are small (I'm usually a light eater) while the price is high. I also don't like that each person at the dining seat HAS to order an entree - that seems inflexible

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
United States
“Food decent but expensive, tip problem”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous interior design, but horrendous expectations and experience for a tip. Look at the other reviews for the positives, that is why we went. After giving cash for the bill, the waitress did not return the rest of the money. We are talking 25 percent more than the bill. We waited and waited, and then I asked her when is it going to come? She responded that she assumed it was for the tip. I said No. The waitress returned with the rest of the money. I was upset and dropped the tip to 10 percent. As we were putting on our shoes, she runs towards us with a disclaimer stating we must give 20 percent due to New York rules. I said that it is not part of the law and is at discretion of the customer. The waitress called the manager and he asked why we are not giving a twenty percent tip and so I explained the situation. The manager then mumbled in Korean while saying that we can now leave. It ruined our romantic dinner.

2 Thank ExplorerSzpig
New York City, New York
“Vegan Paradise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

My first time to a Vegan Korean restaurant and it was definitely an interesting experience. When you first enter the restaurant you have to take off your shoes, which actually gives you a sense that you are entering a friend or family member's home. (I have a shoe-free apartment, myself!) You then sit in these platform style booths with a space below for your legs. The floor actually feels heated so it makes it even more cozy. There are no backs to lean back against though, so that may get a bit uncomfortable after a while.

The staff seemed hit and miss, the hostess was quite friendly, whereas our waiter was a bit cold and abrupt. Food was also hit and miss as well, but more hit than miss. We started with the Organic Wheat Free Kale Pancakes which were a bit bland. They were fried nicely and crispy, but needed way more salt and also more texture to it. The ssam bab (do it yourself, lettuce and sesame leaves wrap with variety of vegetables, sauteed mushrooms and bean paste sauce, served with 3 kinds of rice) was pretty tasty. The sticky black rice was my favorite (the other two were brown rice and white rice) and the pickled veggies were also good (I am a sucker for pickled anything!) The bean paste sauce had a nice sweetness to it (I am also a sucker for all things condiment!) We also had the organic zen stone bowl (with organic vegetables, mushrooms and wild mountain greens, served with organic brown rice.) We ordered it mild, but there was definitely some kick to it. I really enjoyed this though and there were nice bits of crunchy rice in the mix. The spicy sauce on the side also had a yummy sweetness to it and I added more to my portion of rice (I did mention my love of condiments, did I not?)

Overall, it is a bit pricey, but outside of the kale pancakes, everything was delicious. I felt satisfied at the end of the meal without that super heavy feeling. I would definitely be back and I recommend, even if you are not a vegan!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Cynthia M
Tucson, Arizona
“Delicious all vegetarian Korean restaurant in Koreatown.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely, small all vegetarian restaurant. Shoes are removed on entering, and diners are then led to floor level tables where our feet were surprisingly warmed by heated wood floors. We had steamed dumplings, leek pancakes for appetizers. For the entree, the Zen noodles competed for top billing with the crispy mushrooms. Dessert was a trio of sorbets (mango was the best) and a delicious soy chocolate pudding. Neither of us are vegetarians, but we LOVED this food.

1 Thank gyneriley