“If you close your eyes, you'll think you're in Italy...”

Bistango Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistango Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #305 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Was there last night, with 12 business associates for dinner, for the first time. My friend knew about this restaurant and he suggested. You'll never know from outside (or from iside, for that matter) what a treat this place is - What a delight!
The food was fantastic - we had some appetizers, like the sautéed calamari and the pan-roasted baby artichokes (great!), then meatball pizzette (a must!), a few different kinds of pasta, grilled salmon, salads and deserts - all was out of this world!
The service was the best I've had in years!
The owner was orchestrating everything the whole time, which i guess is the best way to achieve all of the above...
We had tons of food and lots of drinks all evening and the price was very fair.

1  Thank Travel2andFr0m

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was visiting New York City with family for the day and I was the only member who needed to consume gluten-free food. I looked at Zagat and got several restaurant options, and we ended up dining at Bistango for dinner.

The prices were reasonable, the service was good and the food was OUTSTANDING. I have lived most of my life eating gluten and was diagnosed with a gluten allergy two years ago so food with gluten is fresh in my memory.

The starter bread tasted like regular bread and it was absolutely delicious with the same consistency of gluten bread. I had pizza with prosciutto, grilled asparagus and mushrooms and it was absolutely delicious. It did not have any cheese on it nor tomato sauce but it was divine. The crust was crumbly and moist, but crispy on the bottom, like a regular pizza crust. Although it was different from regular crust, it was flavorful and light and simply delicious.

One of the party was kind enough to get the gluten-free cheesecake and I tasted it and it was superb. He loved it. The crust seemed to be made of walnuts. I had the red velvet cake and it was slightly heavier than gluten cake, but the icing tasted just like regular cream cheese icing and it was absolutely delicious. Even the free water that you get when you sit down was delicious.

The ladies' restroom was clean. The restaurant was clean, as well. All members of my party really enjoyed their meals and we were very satisfied when we left the restaurant. Also, the servers were very nice and very patient.

One of my relatives indicated that she observed the plates the busboy retrieved and she didn't see any leftover food on anyone's plate. The food was that delicious.

I didn't experience any allergic reactions from my gluten free meal and I think this place is definitely a safe bet for anyone who has gluten sensitivities. The food is full of flavor and tastes almost identical to the gluten counterpart.

I commend the chef, the kitchen staff and the servers. Thank you for providing delicious gluten-free alternatives.

I HIGHLY recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank jacobian
Reviewed September 20, 2012

What a pleasure to dine at a restaurant that really cares! This is the first time in over ten years that my sister was able to enjoy an Italian meal gluten free. The first thing our server asked was if anyone had any food allergies. Great care was given that my sister's needs were meet.We both enjoyed our stuffed ravioli dishes,real Italian bread and dipping oil and our shared gluten free apple tart with vanilla ice cream.This is well worth the trip and a second visit.

1  Thank JeanDana
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We were in the city for 2 days already before the Concierge finally got it right. We had been directed to restaurants that provided a poor experience. Thankfully, we found Bistango. Immediately upon seating, our server asked us if we had any food allergies she needed to know about. We then informed her that my Wife requires Gluten Free food. She was VERY knowledgeable with this and told us EVERYTHING on the menu could be made Gluten Free. WOW! Finally a Restaurant that cares. On top of all this, the food was outstanding... GF breads and Ravioli for my Wife and veal prosciutto for me. Then we finished up with GF red velvet cake and homemade cheesecake. The owner stopped by our table to inquire how our expire nice was and seemed genuine and thoughtful. We did not care for the coffee though. With over 5,000 restaurants in the city, I hope this one continues what they are doing. I would recommend this place for any person any time.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

We continue to seek out good gluten free restaurants when we travel, and this one proved to be an excellent find. The menu has tons of GF options, with highlights like baguette style bread that tastes like real bread, stuffed ravioli and apple caramel tart. The owner is exceptionally friendly and genuinely asks for feedback. After a lovely meal, he provided us with a glass of port as the finishing touch.