“French Dip is out of this world”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hillstone

Hillstone
Ranked #239 of 13,559 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Sushi
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Manhattan
“French Dip is out of this world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

The best French Dip sandwich to ever touch my lips...the most expensive one too, at $22, but worth every bite and every crumb.
I grab this sandwich for lunch when I want to treat myself when I'm in the area. Always to go and the bartenders turn me around fast when they know its to go lunch so make sure you mention that otherwise it may take a little longer.

The bread is crisp and soft. The Roast beef, like buttah, and the Au Jus, wish I had a spoon and bowl!

What a fantastic sandwich. Wished it was a little bigger.

Very thin curly fries, well done and perfectly salted.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Adam Z

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
“Two in a row. Great experience in the City.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Been there with 2 kids and my wife two times in 5 days, second time was a forced choice because the place we choose was closed.
Great food. Perfect service and amazing ambience and decors.
Cocktail bar very comfortable and live music is the perfect touch.
A place where for sure we will return. Ribs was superbs. All of them.

Tel Aviv, Israel
“Great Burger!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

the burgers were very good! the service was also great only thing disappointing was the fries, i wouldn't recommend those. Other than that it's a great restaurant and I will definitely come back!

Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
“Impeccable Service, Swoon-worthy Cocktails and Honestly Good Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hustle and bustle of Manhattan is overwhelming but as soon as I stepped in the door the dark woods and clean lines of the decor calmed me down instantly. My party (of five) sat in a booth and started with cocktails. We had just come from another bar for pre-dinner cocktails and I had a sidecar at both. My friend had never had a sidecar and asked at the pre-dinner bar to try mine, it was harsh and turpentine-ish even though I asked for no gin. When we got to Hillstone I pushed my sidecar towards her and said, "Try this, this is what a sidecar SHOULD taste like." Before I was finished my sidecar our server arrived and transferred my half filled cocktail to a freezer chilled new glass as she did for my friend's martini.

The appetizer was spinach dip - pretty basic and you can get it most everywhere right. Wrong, get it here. I have never had such a fresh light spinach flavor from a dip. I could taste all of the ingredients distinctly and none overpowered the others (not even the garlic) and none tasted harsh or tinny.

I ordered the ribs and coleslaw with matchstick potatoes. Matchstick potatoes were good, fine, fresh but the coleslaw was much like the spinach dip. The ingredients were fresh and crisp and light with a nice tang. The ribs were fall off the bone soft and not oversalted. I love summer food after a long hot day but I hate gnawing on a bone in snappy casual attire. Fall off the bone and succulent the ribs were succulent and it was clear the chef took the time to slow roast and smoke them.

My friend had the yellowtail sashimi and kale salad that looked more like a work of modern art than food. My better half had their French dip, which they are known for, and I was told by my sashimi eating friend that their veggie burger is better than the beef burger and she is a bit of a foodie.

Stay for dessert but I would skip the chocolate. My friends tried the brownies and the ice cream sundaes but felt they were too heavy after such rich meals. I opted for the key lime pie. Topping the pie with with unsweetened cream (trust me, you don't need sugar in the cream) made the pie light and airy. The pie was not cloyingly sweet nor was it mouth-wrenchingly tart. The lime flavor was light on the tongue and didn't coat the mouth in acidity. Everyone had a forkful of the pie and agreed. It helps cut through the richness of roasted meat.

In sum, the food will please you with a mixture of comfort food and new cuisine. The environment is softly lit and suited for reconnecting with friends and loved ones. The wait staff will win you over with their fast, attentive and unobtrusive service.

El Dorado Hills, California, United States
“Recent trip to NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel was wonderful - from the friendly greeter to the fantastic server to the manager and let's not forget the food - delicious! I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone traveling to NYC! The staff are attentive without being overbearing! Loved this this place!! Everyone in this restaurant were outstanding, well-trained and just plain nice!!