“Great Burger!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hillstone

Hillstone
Ranked #161 of 13,479 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Sushi
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Great Burger!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

the burgers were very good! the service was also great only thing disappointing was the fries, i wouldn't recommend those. Other than that it's a great restaurant and I will definitely come back!

Visited July 2013

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
“Impeccable Service, Swoon-worthy Cocktails and Honestly Good Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hustle and bustle of Manhattan is overwhelming but as soon as I stepped in the door the dark woods and clean lines of the decor calmed me down instantly. My party (of five) sat in a booth and started with cocktails. We had just come from another bar for pre-dinner cocktails and I had a sidecar at both. My friend had never had a sidecar and asked at the pre-dinner bar to try mine, it was harsh and turpentine-ish even though I asked for no gin. When we got to Hillstone I pushed my sidecar towards her and said, "Try this, this is what a sidecar SHOULD taste like." Before I was finished my sidecar our server arrived and transferred my half filled cocktail to a freezer chilled new glass as she did for my friend's martini.

The appetizer was spinach dip - pretty basic and you can get it most everywhere right. Wrong, get it here. I have never had such a fresh light spinach flavor from a dip. I could taste all of the ingredients distinctly and none overpowered the others (not even the garlic) and none tasted harsh or tinny.

I ordered the ribs and coleslaw with matchstick potatoes. Matchstick potatoes were good, fine, fresh but the coleslaw was much like the spinach dip. The ingredients were fresh and crisp and light with a nice tang. The ribs were fall off the bone soft and not oversalted. I love summer food after a long hot day but I hate gnawing on a bone in snappy casual attire. Fall off the bone and succulent the ribs were succulent and it was clear the chef took the time to slow roast and smoke them.

My friend had the yellowtail sashimi and kale salad that looked more like a work of modern art than food. My better half had their French dip, which they are known for, and I was told by my sashimi eating friend that their veggie burger is better than the beef burger and she is a bit of a foodie.

Stay for dessert but I would skip the chocolate. My friends tried the brownies and the ice cream sundaes but felt they were too heavy after such rich meals. I opted for the key lime pie. Topping the pie with with unsweetened cream (trust me, you don't need sugar in the cream) made the pie light and airy. The pie was not cloyingly sweet nor was it mouth-wrenchingly tart. The lime flavor was light on the tongue and didn't coat the mouth in acidity. Everyone had a forkful of the pie and agreed. It helps cut through the richness of roasted meat.

In sum, the food will please you with a mixture of comfort food and new cuisine. The environment is softly lit and suited for reconnecting with friends and loved ones. The wait staff will win you over with their fast, attentive and unobtrusive service.

El Dorado Hills, California, United States
“Recent trip to NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel was wonderful - from the friendly greeter to the fantastic server to the manager and let's not forget the food - delicious! I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone traveling to NYC! The staff are attentive without being overbearing! Loved this this place!! Everyone in this restaurant were outstanding, well-trained and just plain nice!!

“Fabulous!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

The spinach dip, Hawaiian ribeye, and salmon were all superb. We had no room for dessert because we ate every bite of our meal. The staff were prompt and courteous! The meal, staff, and ambiance was worth every penny!!!!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food & great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Four of us went to Hillstone in July. Rumours told us that this would be a good experience .
And it sure was. Good food, great service and excellent atmosphere.

• 4 of 5 bubbles