“Always fantastic steak”
Review of Keens Steakhouse

Keens Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Keens Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 13,765 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th and 6th
Transit: N, R F, Q, B, D A,C,E & 1,2,3,9 on 34th Street
Description: Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.
Epsom
“Always fantastic steak”
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

This is the third or fourth time I've dined at Keens and every time the steak is superb. We had the lobster bisque and iceberg lettuce with blue cheese dressing for starters and shared the chateaubriand. Simply divine! A really good Zinfandel (Swan river) to go with it and took away the leftover steak for an amazing sandwich the next day for lunch.

Visited July 2014

New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Grate please”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We had a family diner there and the food was just perfect. I will recommend the place to anyone like good steak

• Visited July 2014
Margate, Florida
“great atmosphere average food.”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We dined in the Lincoln Room. A lot of cool pictures. The service was excellent. I was a little disappointed in the food. I got a T-Bone steak. Cooked correctly, but little flavor. It seems they did not put a lot of seasoning. I asked for the Red Wine sauce, and it was almost all butter. My oyster Rockefeller also had little flavor. Good wine list

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Vincent S
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Exceptional food”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

The prime rib was one of the best. The mutton chop was cooked to perfection, the three pound lobster was sweet and perfectly prepared. Not the place to go for an everyday meal for most, but an experience if you are looking for a great meal near Madison Square Garden. We will be back,

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Joseph G
New York City, New York
“Vastly overrated”
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

I visited Keens Steakhouse last Thursday July 17th after reading about the history of the restaurant. I was looking forward to quality filet mignon and cozy atmosphere with my wife. It was a Thursday evening so I didn't think I would need a reservation. Upon arrival at the restaurant the outside looked old and dingy. There was fresh garbage nearby awaiting pick up which smelled particularly rancid. Not very appetizing. We waited by the front door for a couple of minutes while a very elderly couple were trying to work their way into the restaurant with their walkers. When we finally got in an odd looking young female asked for our name. I said we did not have a reservation. She said oh you have to go see the manager in the other room. Apparently, the place has a first come, first serve separate room with a separate menu. The odd looking woman brought us to the next room and pointed out the manager. He was an older white male with pushed back white hair. I didn't catch his name. As we approached we overheard him almost yelling at a young under dressed Asian woman. He said "I told you already, go wait over there"! I'm not sure what that was about. I asked the old man how long for a table. He was an arrogant man. He rolled his eyes, said at least 90 minutes and looked away. I looked around this restaurant. It was tremendously over crowded. People were sitting next to each other like cattle. Even the first come first serve room was two big adjoining tables. I'm sure you couldn't cut a steak without your elbow hitting the stranger next to you. It was an older crowd also. Much older. I don't believe they allow children. I wasn't going to wait 90 minutes for this tired, arrogant, overcrowded, dated disaster. I'm not sure how the food is in this place but even if it is the best it's not worth the effort to try and get a table. We left and went for a walk. My iPhone showed many steak houses not too far away. We found one and were seated right away.

7 Thank Patrick M